Bottom Feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thranta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am still fairly new to all the aquarium stuff.

My first attempt at keeping fish started last November, and I got a couple of fish that I should not have, including a plec. At the time it was barely an inch long, but has now grown to about 5". In a few months it would be entirely too large for my little 10 gallon tank.

The sturdy little plec will now be moving to a new home in about a week, which will leave me with no bottom feeders. I quite like my plec and would like to bring in a similar algae nommer. Are there any dwarf varieties of plecs or smaller cousins that may fit in well with my tanks

I have a 10 gallon and a 13 gallon tank. They had entirely fake decor until I added a java fern to each about a week ago. There is also a small fry tank, which is circa 7.5 gallons, which I think is entirely too small for a nommer.

A bit of research has said that otos or butterfly plecs (which are not really plecs) may be decent choices.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Look at bubblesaquarium.com, they have a huge variety of pleco's, otto's and whiptails. Just make sure to research them before buying. A lot of these still may outgrow your 10 gallon but if you cannot upgrade, I would suggest snails.

The butterfly pleco is some loach and would probably work

I would not recommend a butterfly loach, they like to live in a faster current well oxygenated, good lighting environment, as well as cooler temp.

I have a 15 gal tank just for these guys, i have two powerhead filter to simulate a stream current. Alot of flat rocks, good strong light to allow algae growth. When i get home, i will post a pic

Mine is the L-168 butterfly pleco sorry thought that's what you were wanting lol

After some research, I think that I will be going with otos. They seem to be the best fit for smaller tanks. Thank you! I will update later.

I've found that they do better when there are more than one so try and get a little group if you can

I was thinking andvmabye a few Otto catfish would work

Otos update...

My small, but quickly growing plecs are moving in about a week. Then there shall be multiple otos. I am thinking a pair for each larger tank, and the little one can do without. Thoughts?

Your Pleco is the type that gets big if I were you i would get a bristolnose Pleco there maximum size is around 5 inches or you can get a oto

I have had my bristlenose for about 7 months and he's already past five inches :D.

Back
Top Bottom