Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zecolmeia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have what looks like brown algae on rocks and glass... i scrubbed it in last water change as bestas I could but it came back. I dont know if this is related but a fish had a white spot on the anal fin which is now 3 small ones. And another fish (oddly same color) now has a small white spot in the same place? Are these related and how do I addresses them.

Probably not related. The brown algae is probably diatoms which are harmless and normal in new tanks. They'll go away on their own eventually, they just have to run their course.

Is the tank new? Is it cycled? Have you tested for ammonia, etc lately? Read this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/
The white spot is likely Ich. The best way to treat it is either with just heat or heat and salt if you have fish that can tolerate salt. This link should help: Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

20121216_075550.jpg

20121216_075557.jpg

These are the pics. Its been a week since lfast pwc...I scrubbed everything then. The extra white in the pic is new this am. Please help...

The brown looks like diatoms to me; as I said it's normal. They can last a while before they run their course. They aren't harmful, just look bad. It'll go away when it's ready but it can take a while. The white stuff....is it soft? Cottony? Or hard? Most new wood grows some fungus while it adjusts to the tank but that looks a little different than what I've had. Do you know what kind of wood it is? Where did you get it?

The white is on live rock... during pwc I'll see what it feels like. In each case what should I do

It's probably some sort of die-off of the rock. Live rock is used in saltwater tanks and it has specific light needs; it generally isn't used in freshwater. I don't know if it would be harmful in the long-run, I think it just dies off and becomes inert rock but not sure.

Back
Top Bottom