Brown gunk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee219

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just set up my new 55g aquarium in about March. I did a fishless cycle and added five small zebra danios about a month ago (then I found out I was moving across town and delayed my stocking).

Just over the past two weeks I've noticed brown gunk on my silk plants and on my terracotta pots. Infact it looks like I lit my silk plants on fire in places. I have not a clue what this is, and I don't remember ever reading up on it. Is it some kind of brown algae? Should I be worried or do anything about it? It just kind of surprised me. If anyone wants pictures of I would be glad to take them, but if someone can identify this without them I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Brown algae (also known as diatoms). This is a common occurrence in a new tank and is quite natural. You can get rid of it by reducing your lighting hours, smaller fish feedings and a few PWC's.

Some people will also recommend the addition of oto's, since they are known to eat this algae however, oto's require an established tank.

Okay, thanks. I'll be sure to reset my light timer, and I am getting ready to change water in a few minutes. Otos are definitely not a good idea for me, new tank and first tank to boot syndrome I suppose you could say.

I think Otos should be fine, if they have a reputation for being fragile I've never heard it. I had the same thing in my new tank, brown algae all over my plants and even starting to colonize parts of the tank walls. Within 24 hours of adding my 3 little otos, there was no visible sign of algae. They are pretty calm little guys, they don't take up much space and the other fish, even aggressive ones don't seem to even notice them.

On the whole, oto's are very sensitive to a cycling tanks yo-yoing parameters. Any changes in NH3, NO2, NO3 and ph and they are not likely to survive it.

From Fishprofiles:
They can be very delicate fish though, if proper care is not given them. They fare best with very clean water and live plants. When adding these fish to your tank, acclimate them for much longer than usual to avoid problems.

Also, from personal experience.

oh 8O ...i was just about to go out to get my otos...good that u guys pointed that out...ill be carefull... :roll:

Back
Top Bottom