Can I add more neons to a school of 6?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeesymelon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a 25gal/95l tank for about 2 and a half weeks and I have a betta and 6 neons! You may argue that I should have cycled the tank before adding fish but I kind of did! After having the tank for 3-4 days, I added a betta and a Java fern! The guy at the place I got the fish from gave me 2 cycled sponges to add to the tank and told me to leave them in for 24 hrs! Also for the first 24hrs of having the tank I used a cycled filter from another tropical tank I have with mollies, platies, sword tails, guppies and corydoras! I then took it out of the 25 gal and put it back! I also added some filter Bacteria boost! Anyway I had the tank up for a week and a half so I added the fish I wanted the tank for, neon tetras! I added six and they seem to be doing fine! I've had them in for a week now but there is this offer at my fish store for 6 neons for £5 which is about $5.50-$6.00 and that's a great deal which ends on Tuesday! Otherwise they are like £2.00 per fish! They are in the exact same tank that I got my neons from and they haven't changed them so could i get some by Tuesday? Would they get along and school together?
Thanks

24 hrs is not enough time,NitrIfying bacteria multiply(double) approx ev 7-10 days,Nitrafying B take 4-8 days to double.
If you do "go for it" get more plants, 6-8 more stem plants, that will help consume the ammonia,& nitrites,nitrates. anibius lugwiga,becoppa are easy to grow.(read up on proper planting techniques/requirements of the plants you get for best results)
All fish will appreciate more plants.
A liquid test kit is also recommended.
as for schooling together they will be fine after a week & the pecking order is re-established.
the fish are small so it shouldn't be a huge load on the tank as long as you are careful not to overfeed.

As long as your water tests okay, there should be no problems with adding more Neons. Just keep an eye on your water quality and be prepared to do water changes immediately if things change. When it comes to schooling fish, the more the better ( in their minds) ;)
Only the tank size plays a role in how many you can have in a school. (y)

How long since you have added the betta and the other neons.....even with all the stuff you have already done.....adding fish too soon for your beneficial bacteria colony to be able to handle their bioload can cause a mini-cycle or a bacteria bloom with really cloudy water.

Plants do soak up the bad stuff while also making everything look good! Though even if your got a whole ton of plants they have to acclimate to your water some too before they start doing some of the absorbing (plant melting is a common thing when adding a new plant, and dead plants or dying plants release ammonia and nitrites too). Also plants might make your betta less stressed. Especially with such active fish as neons.

as for neons the more you have the more natural behavior you will see from them and the more comfortable you feel. though if your fish are super comfortable in your tank they might not school as tightly as you might think. Schooling is usually a defensive behavior. I have fifteen in a 20 gallon and its a great number.

Back
Top Bottom