canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hav my 78 gallon tank with two oscars. An undergravel filter and a internal power filter in it. I change my water 60% every week. Still water quality goes down by 4th or 5th day. Its away from direct sunlight.I never over feed. Thinking of buy a good canister filter.so please suggest which canister filter is good for a 78g tank? How much gph I need to keep my tank crystal clear?

The typical rule of thumb is to turn six to ten times your tank volume per hour. Any brand canister will work well and they all have their fans and haters. Personally, I would stay away from MarineLand canisters, not because of bad quality but because MarineLand stuff is all overpriced. SunSun/AquaTop are great and won't break the bank. Ehiems, Fluval, Rena, all quality products. Find the one that has the features you like for the price you want to pay.

I picked up a used sunsun 302 on cl for $20. For the price you can't beat it. It works very well. I don't have a fluval to compare but it is so much more quiet and powerful than my hob filters.

I would recommend the marineland c- series canisters. I have the C-220 (rated for up to 55gal) and am very pleased with it. I have had it on my 40gal. for about 2 years now and have had no problems. I find their c-series canister filters very competitively priced with the other top brands. At the time of my purchase it was cheaper than all the others for slightly more GPH rating (these of course vary between manufacturers testing procedures). I also have the Eheim ECCO 2234 (rated for 60gal) and the c-220 appears to move more water and perform better than the Ecco 2234.
Also the Marineland customer service i have had to deal with (nothing to do with the filter) was excellent so if i ever need them again i'm sure i will be taken care of.
I have not had the cheaper sunsun or aquatop filters so i cant compare them to marineland or eheim.

That's just my 2 cents worth and i only get a penny for my thoughts, so it just cost me to tell you this info. :)

Nice info...thaks guys... thinking of fluval...let's what my pet store or LFS hav?

Something else to think about is maintenance. Some canister filters only allow u to use their specific media and/or shape to them. Example: Rena are square and different media can be used while others may have a certain shape to them making them hard to use different media. This forces u to buy their stuff and it can get pricey. Just a little tip.

Amazon typically has the best prices...And I would agree with some of the other Postings, Fluval or AquaTop are the most bang for your buck. Also the Media is pretty standard.

mohican said:
Something else to think about is maintenance. Some canister filters only allow u to use their specific media and/or shape to them. Example: Rena are square and different media can be used while others may have a certain shape to them making them hard to use different media. This forces u to buy their stuff and it can get pricey. Just a little tip.

Buy bulk and cut to fit, ultra cheap.

I agree, that's what I do. Even buy from pond suppliers for pads.

For me, I have the Fluval Fx5 and I'm crazy about it. It was worth every penny I paid for it. I bought it off of Amazon and it shipped quick!

Oops forgot to say what tank it was on. I have it running on a 120 gallon tank. I have some serious lake monsters in there, and it handles like a dream. It keeps the water super clear.

ForumRunner_20120419_111131.jpg

This isn't the best shot but I'm not at home to take another. This canister Works like a charm!

And it is super quiet! Sometimes it will get air in the system and make a sound similar to light rain, but it automatically shuts itself off and releases the trapped air, and then its quiet again. And when i say quiet, I mean the refrigerator next to it makes more noise then this filter! (My tank is in my garage)

Back
Top Bottom