Carey wants a happy tank- guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. Wish i had a picture ;-)

I saw so many colorful ones I don't know how I would choose. lol

Dakota I am dying for a guppy with some purple on it! So jealous!

Haha, it's just a small dot. Maybe three or two centimeters. Yes I know that backward, I don't care. :)

Well-

Guppies are pretty simple to care for and can be quite a variety of colors. Our most recent experience with them was a bit odd- one female began chasing the one long-finned cobalt blue male, eventually ripping away nearly half of his formerly beautiful tail. We ended it by giving her away. Then another female started picking on other tank inhabitants.

An idea, if you can find them- I have fallen "in love" with our pair of Variegated Sunset Platies... They were pretty when we got them, but since putting a bunch of plants in the tank, they have gained a lot of color--- and are peaceful, active fish.

I was messing around on aqua advisor and I plugged in 6 glo fish for a 10g with my AC30 and it came back as 79% stocked.

Would this be ok? If I plug in 8 I'm at 97% it says. I know it's just a guide but they usually are very conservative.

I've seen bettas being kept with guppies. The betta was very calm though. Maybe if you got an older one? I thought a couple glofish would be fine.

Well back to this thread! I was thinking of adding cories. They are bottom feeding fish right? How low could I go in count on the glofish so they still school and how many, if any, cories could i add? I know they like groups too.

I plan on planting this tank too! These fish are gonna look awesome I think. I just got 2 new bulbs for this setup and it looks amazing so far.

anybody feel free to comment! I need all the help I can get. lol

If you're looking for another alternative to Guppies and would like something that will breed great in a small tank, have you thought about Endler's Livebearers? They're actually a cousin of the guppy but they stay amazingly small (1inch max) and the males get an awesome tie-dye color pattern that is very flashy. The females are your standard silver female guppies with almost no color.

Endlers2.jpg

If you're looking for a centerpiece - have you thought about an ornamental Pleco? They're usually more expensive than commons or bristlenoses - but they can have great patterns and stay small enough for a small tank.

I think rather than a centerpiece fish I am going ofr the plants as the major component. I for sure don't want any breeding! lol I have enough issues with my cichlids always being knocked up. hehehe
That is an awesome looking fish though! Like a radioactive guppy

carey said:
Well back to this thread! I was thinking of adding cories. They are bottom feeding fish right? How low could I go in count on the glofish so they still school and how many, if any, cories could i add? I know they like groups too.

I plan on planting this tank too! These fish are gonna look awesome I think. I just got 2 new bulbs for this setup and it looks amazing so far.

anybody feel free to comment! I need all the help I can get. lol

The only cories I would add are Pygmy cories. I don't know the exact name, but most often you'll have to order online.

Cories are super spazzmatic catfish that need some room to do their thing, and need kept in groups of 4-6 as a minimum. The only cories I find suitable for a tank with a smaller footprint like yours is hasbrosus and pygmaeus. I have the hasbrosus and they are the cutest little things you'll ever see! Severum might be selling them.

I was messing around on aqua advisor and I plugged in 6 glo fish for a 10g with my AC30 and it came back as 79% stocked.

Would this be ok? If I plug in 8 I'm at 97% it says. I know it's just a guide but they usually are very conservative.

I had missed this post..wanted to add..I have seen the aqadvisor say a terribly overstocked tank wasn't even stocked yet. And then the next time it will be conservative. You never know with that thing. It said my 55 was stocked with like 2 angels and 5 boesemani rainbows..and that's with double filtration :ermm: I wouldn't that program one bit.

Minimum group size for glo's/danios is 6. I just had one die and now the 5 are all scattered about acting weird so I can see that 6+ is important for them :)

I think I will keep the group at 6 then. What about the pygmy corys? or do they too need a large group?

Thanks for the answers guys, really appreciate it.

carey said:
I think I will keep the group at 6 then. What about the pygmy corys? or do they too need a large group?

Thanks for the answers guys, really appreciate it.

Pygmy cories will need a minimum of four as well.

I plugged in 4 pygmy cories and the 6 glofish into that advisor for fun and it puts me at 97% stock.

Is 10 fish in a 10g do able in this instance? also since this will be planted, are there any fish I can add that will eat snails? In place of the cories of course. :-D

you could do ghost shrimp,then you could keep the cories.mine eat the pest snails,and any other snail thats small enough.

Oooo freshwater shrimp....I love my saltwater ones. I don't think I've ever seen a ghost shrimp for sale around here, then again I wasn't looking.

So how's the 6 glofish, 4 pygmy cories and 3 shrimp sound?

and on another note, do glo fish breed like crazy or anything? i don't want any added issues on a simple tank. lol

Back
Top Bottom