Catfish for 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm starting a 55 gallon tank and need some ideas for stocking I like strong personalities and vibrant colors. I really want a pleco but I'm unsure of which one, so I'm open to suggestions but the other fish need to be compatible with a pleco. I also have a gravel substrate so fish that like gravel would be good. I also have 5 tiger barbs currently and I'm planning on getting 2 more in 2 weeks

i have 2 pictus cats in my 55 and they are very active and fun to watch and great bottem cleaners

Would have to order the pleco from online?

Unless you get lucky and find one locally. They are more " fragile " than most plecos however and need a pretty well established tank.

I got an L018 GN pleco who's doing really well after almost a week of getting acclimated to the tank and he's got an interesting personality to boot.

A clown pleco is also a pretty cool, standout, fish.

Or there's the upside down catfish which is unique in it's own right.

Ok the GN pleco is way too expensive for me at the moment but the clown pleco looks good and since they are small I might get 2 and try to breed them

Personally I like bristlenose pleco's. They like to rasp on driftwood but are excellent algae eaters as well. I also feed mine zucchini and cucumber.

Make sure you get a decent size school of tiger barbs so they don't nip at any other fish. IMO you should keep 8-10 at least so they stay busy with each other and leave any other fish alone.

Ya I was planning on getting 2 or 3 more but would a clown and bristle nose be ok I the same tank if I get them both as juveniles?

I'm partial to pictus cats, BN plecos and loaches.

I have pictus cats, a BN pleco and clown loaches in my jack dempsey tank (120g)

I have golden dojos and 2 BN plecos in my firemouth tank (55g)

And I have kuhli loaches and 1 BN pleco in my river tank (55g)

Thinking about getting an L018 Golden or an L204 flash. Wondered if anyone has much experience with them, what size they get to in reality etc? It would be for a 55G and i have corys in (well specifically i have 8 leopard in, although i could swap around and maybe have a pair of albino out of another tank instead, if need be to make room) as i'm not sure how they do with cories. The tank is fairly well stocked, i have various cichlids including 2 small (at the moment) angels, a firemouth and then various peaceful fish down to the smallest being 5 harlequins. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom