Changing 55 gal FW to brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjdodson05

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon with a 3 year old dragon goby. As of now it is freshwater, but I am trying to change to brackish. I have rehomed all the tankmates that were freshwater and only have 10 guppies and ghostshrimp in there with my dragon now. I live in a small town with the closest LFS being an hour drive. I will have to order the salt online. I was wondering what kind/brand salt would be best to use and if there would be any additional brackish fish i could add to what I already have? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Salt and F Fish

Not sure how much help I am since I'm new here, but Instant Ocean seems to be the one most recommended that I run across and the one I am using for salt.

I have a dragon goby as well and went through the same thing you are. I read to change to brackish very slowly to get the fish used to it. I am only adding 2 tablespoons to one gallon with each weekly water change.

I've already done a ton of research on brackish fish, these are your options, although you will have to keep size and temperament in mind. This is just a list. I read the best for dragon goby tank mates are other gobies (i.e. knight goby), guppies, mollies, swordtails, platies, rainbows, etc. You want them peaceful so they don't bite your timid dragon goby.

Here's the brackish list I have put together:

Half beak
Candy stripe goby
guppies
mollies
swordtails
platies
rainbow fish (Celebes)
target fish
bumble bee goby
clay goby
jade goby
knight goby
Columbian shark
Silver tipped shark
Black finned Shark
Five finned shark
Dwarf puffers (Ceylon, Figure 8)
Senegal Birhirs
Ghost Shrimp
Snails - Malaysian trumpet
glassfish
orange chromides
Nerite snails (polka dot, orange track, african zebra, tiger, ruby)
Amano Shrimp / Red Nosed Rudolf

Plant:

Anubras
Vallisnera
Hair Grass
Marimo Balls
Java Moss
Java Fern

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much!! I have thought about the columbian sharks, but I didnt know if they would be too agressive for my dragon. After all, it is HIS tank...lol...thats my baby...haha!! I would like something that is atleast a mid tank swimmer because dragons at the bottom and the guppies are always at the top. I'd prefer something colorful and I have thought about the bumble bee gobies but i dont know much about them. And as far as the plants, I would love to be able to keep them but dragon likes to remodel the tank too often and i can't keep them in the sand!! Ha!! Thank you though for making that list!! I will start reading up on them!!!

Well after reading up on several different candidates for my dragon goby and his brackish tank...I have narrowed it down to ...either the Celebes Rainbowfish or the Orange Chromides. I know very little about either of these except that they are peaceful, colorful, mid tank swimmers, all of which is what I was looking for. Can anybody tell me if either one of these are particularly hard fish to keep? And also keep in mind I also have 10 guppies in this 55gal tank with my 3 yr old Dragon Goby

I no this is prob the dumbest question ever but what is brackish ?

Okay update. .....my 55 gal is fully brackish now with my 23 inch long dragon goby, 7 celebes rainbowfish, a few guppies and ghost shrimp.....most of my fish are small and i was wanting a couple more larger fish to set the tank off ....I was gonna get a figure 8 puffer but I am afraid it would be too agressive for my other fish. Or maybe a couple orange chromides? Any suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom