Changing colors - dalmation molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone know any reason why my Dalmatian Molly is changing color so much? Could it be go to the meds I have been adding? Is this normal? I know the fish can get more color in your tank but I didn't think this would happen. He is almost all black now. Here are before and after pics

Attachments

• image-1539050696.jpg
    image-1539050696.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 1,201
  • image-2755525529.jpg
    image-2755525529.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 861
I believe that it is normal, but don't quote me on that. Hope someone else chimes in for you, but as long as the fish looks healthy I wouldn't worry.

So how do I pick a dalmatian that will stay a Dalmatian and not turn all black??? I kinda wanted him to be spotted

My understanding is that it happens as they mature, so you may not be able to do anything about it. =(

my dalmation looks just like that. has a bit of a yellow cast. he's healthy and that's all that counts. :)

Ooh! Interesting! I had no idea they could change color..
Hope mine stays the same. I like the spotted look too! Makes me wonder if my black one changed before I got him..he has a few random spots too.

I know that black moor goldfish can change from all black to gold - and often do. Hadn't heard this about dalmations! I just got my first mollies so I'll have to watch to see if she changes!

Interesting - so does that mean all the dalmation mollies turn black (or mostly black)?
Will the babies be spotted at the beginning?

So far I have had two male dalmation mollies and both are completely black. I have yet to have any dalmation babies :( my two females are one black and one silver - you would think I would get a dalmation baby out of this. I'll let you know if it happens

Haha! So I now know how to make Dalmatian babies!!!! They are born white and then get their spots - just like puppies! The more they grow the more spots they get! It is fun (now that I know that their is nothing wrong with my silver mollies) I had a Dalmatian male that turned all black mated with a silver female. White babies then slowly they got their spots.

I have a dalmatian molly and she is still spotted. I have had her almost a year. Wouldn't mind if she turned black. I have two fry that I thought were one from each molly. I also have a gold doubloon molly. However both fry have developed spots and they both have orange on them. Guess that makes them calicoes. Really interesting coloring. My gold doubloon molly just had more fry. haven't seen any of them yet. Lots of hiding places. Will be interesting to see what color they are. All births were from retained sperm. No males in the tank.

I have also had a lot of fry that are born with minimal black and with age turn almost completely black. I think this is more common with the harlequin genes, rather than Dalmatian. In my experience a Dalmatian Molly has very small spots sometimes only one scale at a time with be black. Also, Dalmatians are only on a Snow White base without shimmer. Any thing that has shimmer is more than likely a harlequin. The fry/fish changing to a darker base is solely based on the breeding lines of each individual fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom