Cleaning a used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ord6531

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just got my 95 gallon tank. It was used as a turtle tank. The silicone in the corners needs to be re-finished becuase of the turtle trying to climb out. The tank housed three red-eared sliders, and for what ever reason, they got sick and past away. I was going to clean the tank with 4 oz of bleach to one gallon of water. Are there any cleaning methods I should consider before using bleach? I want to make sure I kill any virus or bacteria that may have caused the turtles demise.

Cleaning a Used Tank

Good morning Ord...

I used standard aquarium salt and a soft sponge when I cleaned my tanks. Aquarium salt will kill any bacteria left from the reptiles. Just rinse well and let the tank dry and it will be ready to go.

Never use strong chemicals in your tank, there's a risk of leaving some residue that could harm your fish or plants.

B

Whenever I buy a used tank I clean it out with vinegar l, razorblades and elbow grease.

If you are worried about killing everything left behind you can use diluted unscented bleach, it won't take very much bleach. Just be sure to rinse really well then fill the tank up with water and add dechlorinator and let it sit for a bit then drain and rinse.

Back
Top Bottom