Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcard1971

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi- I need help. I have a 20 gallon tank that's has been cloudy for 2 weeks. It's a new tank, with plants, driftwood, substrate, co2 and marnieland filter. I have 3 platyes. I am changing the water 2x a twice and levels are ok. Help

:Welcome" to the forum! Chances are it is cloudy because it is a new tank. THe parameters are off, making the tank cloudy. Hopefully you are working with a fish-in cycle. If you need help with that check out the link underneath my post (signature). Another reason it could be cloudy is if you used sand substrate and didn't clean it properly. The cloudiness will go away eventually, but taking it out and cleaning it more would do the trick now.

Yeah new tanks cloud a lot, normally from Bacteria Blooms that are setting up what will eventually be your completed cycle :)

Just keep an eye on water parameters and PWC's as needed and you'll be OK.
If there's particulate clouding it as well, put some floss at your filter exit (floss=pillows stuffing, the bare kind with NO additives, ie fire retardant, anti mold, etc) then change/rinse it out daily.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone..I've had my 29 gallon tank for almost 4 weeks..there are seven fish with plants and gravel with tetra whisper filter/pump..everything's been reasonably smooth.. I keep it at 78 degrees I have the plant friendly light.. but the water has been awfully cloudy lately..I've been doing 20% water changes every other day. I checked the ph..everything is normal except slightly hard..fish are doing good very lively..I've wiped the inside down..I cut feelings to once a day..(but might be over compensating!)...just this murky water I'd have to say more on the green side..I'm very new at this so be gentle!! Haha thanx for any help!

Hi- I need help. I have a 20 gallon tank that's has been cloudy for 2 weeks. It's a new tank, with plants, driftwood, substrate, co2 and marnieland filter. I have 3 platyes. I am changing the water 2x a twice and levels are ok. Help

Hi everyone..I've had my 29 gallon tank for almost 4 weeks..there are seven fish with plants and gravel with tetra whisper filter/pump..everything's been reasonably smooth.. I keep it at 78 degrees I have the plant friendly light.. but the water has been awfully cloudy lately..I've been doing 20% water changes every other day. I checked the ph..everything is normal except slightly hard..fish are doing good very lively..I've wiped the inside down..I cut feelings to once a day..(but might be over compensating!)...just this murky water I'd have to say more on the green side..I'm very new at this so be gentle!! Haha thanx for any help!

The bacterial blooms almost always establish themselves when an aquarium is cycling and there is nothing short of antibiotics or a UV sterilizer to get rid of them. The only problem is that the antibiotics would probably kill your cycle and the UV sterilizer costs about $100. Water changes wont have any effect on them as well. The best way to handle them is time.

Also, about the feedings. Fish only need to be fed a small amount once a day. There is absolutely no need to overfeed them that one time either. More often than not the rotting food will cause problems and aid in the development of a bacterial bloom.

There are a few things you can use to try and help solve some sorts of cloudiness such as activated carbon and purigen but those aren't likely to solve your issues in this case.

Back
Top Bottom