Coldwater fish and hot summers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there, just waiting for the test kit to arrive (bought via Internet in Melbourne so hopefully quick delivery).

Will get back to you with results.

Thank you :)

Hello,

The water tests tonight as follows:
Ammonia = 0 ppm
pH = approximately 7.6
Nitrite = 0 ppm

Unfortunately, one test tube arrived broken and so have to wait for tubes to dry to do nitrate test.

I did a 20% water change on Saturday 14 and added new live plants.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Roz and fishies

Well, your levels are strangely perfect! That's not to be mean, but this tank was just recently set up, so it should have some of either ammonia or nitrites.

Anyway, do you know what plants you have? Some, like anacharis, or water wisteria/sprite, suck up tons of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. They're great for water quality, which could explain your lack of ammo or trIte.

Hello, I am so relieved to hear that! I have one anacharis on a piece of driftwood, which has been there ever since I set up the tank. I also have some strappy type plants that the fishies like eating the heads off, and another longer plant. I am sorry that I don't know their botanical or common names.

It sound like the plants might be helping (for the moment). I'll make sure I keep replenishing the plants until I can get the larger tank.

Thank you so much for your kind help :)

Roz

Hello, I am so relieved to hear that! I have one anacharis on a piece of driftwood, which has been there ever since I set up the tank. I also have some strappy type plants that the fishies like eating the heads off, and another longer plant. I am sorry that I don't know their botanical or common names.

It sound like the plants might be helping (for the moment). I'll make sure I keep replenishing the plants until I can get the larger tank.

Thank you so much for your kind help :)

Roz

If its attached to driftwood, its likely to be anubias rather than anacharis. What is your nitrAte reading?

How long has this tank been set up for exactly? It looks like it's cycled! 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite means your cycled. Now, I wouldn't add anything other fish to your tank, but still.

Hi there, the tank has been up and running for 5 weeks and the fishies have been there for 4 weeks.

I certainly won't add anymore fish as I know the tank is too small for the little guys.

Great news about the tank :)

Okay, that might explain it. Do you know how to cycle a tank? I might have already asked this (or someone else), but it's important.

Hello, I now Have a few books that outline the steps to take, which will be handy once I get the larger tank.

Would welcome any hints, as all the books say different things and are often contradictory.

Thank you

Ohh...

In that case, you should read this and this and this and this:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
How to Cycle a Fish Tank
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice
Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice

The first one is on fish in cycling (what you are doing), the second is cycling in general, and the third and fourth are on fishless cycling, which you are not doing but you should still read because you might understand it better that way.

Regarding your original post. Cooling tanks is quite easy and most have been mentioned but thought i would conclude.

-Float frozen water bottles.

-Open the lid slightly.(not all the way, some fish will jump out!)

-Point a fan at the tank.

-OUT of direct sunlight. (Direct sunlight can cause other problems too like algea blooms)

Thank you very much for your helpful tips! I've made note of them and will try them out once it heats up.

That's right. The temp is about 10-25C at the moment, but it will get to the 30s in November and 40s in late January. Not sure what that is in F, but am sure it is over 100F!

I really hate our summers :-(

Back
Top Bottom