Community Tank: Fluval EBI with Betta as centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally got it done. The original mini xmas moss attempt was an utter failure, so I pulled it and here are some pics of my next try at getting the ivy wall effect I'm hoping for. I tried to get the canvas completely hidden, but some still wanted to poke out :p, which may be a good thing so I can see the growth pattern over time. I'll do updates on how it's looking and if it works out, I'll add some more to the indent in the upper left corner of the 3D wall.

If you have the EBI/Flora kit and want to give it a try, I custom cut/fit the plastic canvas to fit the center indent in the 3D wall, so just count the squares and it should wedge in just right. Also, you'll notice I left the fingers sticking (nubs) out and that's on purpose so they grab the styrofoam wall.

Pics: 1. Indent before adding moss (just above Yum Yum's head); 2. Canvas custom cut; 3. Canvas & moss ready to be stitched together; 4. Final installation.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110618_094616.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110618_094616.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 115
  • ForumRunner_20110618_094641.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110618_094641.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20110618_094709.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110618_094709.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 124
  • ForumRunner_20110618_094730.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110618_094730.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 108
Few question dear: Did the fluval nano filter came with the tank? if not, how much did you buy it for?

I wanted to get the same filter for my 4.4G FBH. I already have a penn plax small world filter in it (changed the carbon stuff on the top with another sponge so it actually became a sponge filter now) but I wanted to add this filter or change the penn plax with this overall. I saw this in eBay:

FLUVAL EBI MINI NANO FILTER AQUARIUM FISH TANK INTERNAL - eBay (item 280612750482 end time Jul-05-11 13:51:25 PDT)

Is this price worth it? Please let me know.

daileene said:
Few question dear: Did the fluval nano filter came with the tank? if not, how much did you buy it for?

I wanted to get the same filter for my 4.4G FBH. I already have a penn plax small world filter in it (changed the carbon stuff on the top with another sponge so it actually became a sponge filter now) but I wanted to add this filter or change the penn plax with this overall. I saw this in eBay:

FLUVAL EBI MINI NANO FILTER AQUARIUM FISH TANK INTERNAL - eBay (item 280612750482 end time Jul-05-11 13:51:25 PDT)

Thanks! It seems to be working good.

I got the nano with the kit and I really like it. That's the best deal I could find too, so I say go for it :).

FYI: You can turn that filter into a 4 stage filter :dance:.

I just caught up on this thread. Very nice setup Mr. Limpet.

I'm glad you're having success with shrimp in the same tank as Elvis. I had ghost shrimp in with my first female betta (Mystique) seemingly with no problems, but after I added my second female betta (Killer) the ghosties were dropping like flies.

daileene said:

There are three internal filters for you to consider that seem to work pretty well.

The Fluval mini nano filter is one of them, which Mr. Limpet has used with success.

Another is the Marineland Duetto 50 or 100. I use the 100 as a backup filter in my 20g tank. The water flow is adjustable in both of the filters, but the Fluval Nano has a spray bar that will diffuse the water flow more effectively. I'm also of the opinion (without looking at them side by side) that the Fluval Nano may not be as wide as the Marineland Duetto 100.

Amazon.com: DUETTO INTERNAL POWER MULTI-FILTER (92GPH): Home & Garden

Lastly, there's Tom Aquarium mini filter. It's a much smaller filter than either of the above (5 inches high, less than 2 inches deep/wide). I now have two of them, one as backup in my 10g tank, and one in my 2.5g nano tank. They have adjustable water flow and come with a spray bar attachment, which makes for an excellent nano tank filter.

Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Home & Garden

I've modified my filter media because it had carbon in a container above the filter sponge. I've detailed what I did with it in my 2.5g build thread, link below.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/new-shrimp-tank-petco-2-5g-with-mods-156283.html

Thanks James!

I was more concerned with the CRS since they're $8 each and the ghosties are .18 each lol. I'm gonna check out your thread next, but $26 for the Marinland? :eek: I got an AC30 for $28.

Scottishnewbie said:
Hi, is that an assassin snail? Looks like the one in local aquarium shop?

Nope, I have 1 zebra nerite snail and 6 or so MTS. There's a bunch of baby snails, but I'm not sure if they're nerite or pond snails, so I'll have to wait and see on those.

Ah ok, the pointed kinda one looks like the assassin snail the guy in the shop is trying to get me to buy. I need something to help keep the bottom of the tank clean along with my 2 corys and shrimps look too creepy! Sorry shrimp lovers but I couldn't put my hand in the tank with them cause they might touch it.
Tank looks ace though!!

Thanks James!

I was more concerned with the CRS since they're $8 each and the ghosties are .18 each lol. I'm gonna check out your thread next, but $26 for the Marinland? :eek: I got an AC30 for $28.

I don't remember if I paid that much for it when I bought it at Pet Supplies Plus; I could probably check receipts. My tanks already have AquaClear filters on them as the main source of filtration; the 20g high has an AC50, and the 10g has an AC20. When I bought the Duetto and Tom Aquarium mini filters, I was looking for a variation to go with my HoB filters. Canister filters were expensive (and are probably best for larger tanks anyway) so I went the path of in-tank filters.

I can't have CRS in my tank because they'll interbreed with my bumblebee shrimp. :blink:

I just caught up on this thread. Very nice setup Mr. Limpet.

I'm glad you're having success with shrimp in the same tank as Elvis. I had ghost shrimp in with my first female betta (Mystique) seemingly with no problems, but after I added my second female betta (Killer) the ghosties were dropping like flies.

There are three internal filters for you to consider that seem to work pretty well.

The Fluval mini nano filter is one of them, which Mr. Limpet has used with success.

Another is the Marineland Duetto 50 or 100. I use the 100 as a backup filter in my 20g tank. The water flow is adjustable in both of the filters, but the Fluval Nano has a spray bar that will diffuse the water flow more effectively. I'm also of the opinion (without looking at them side by side) that the Fluval Nano may not be as wide as the Marineland Duetto 100.

Amazon.com: DUETTO INTERNAL POWER MULTI-FILTER (92GPH): Home & Garden

Lastly, there's Tom Aquarium mini filter. It's a much smaller filter than either of the above (5 inches high, less than 2 inches deep/wide). I now have two of them, one as backup in my 10g tank, and one in my 2.5g nano tank. They have adjustable water flow and come with a spray bar attachment, which makes for an excellent nano tank filter.

Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Home & Garden

I've modified my filter media because it had carbon in a container above the filter sponge. I've detailed what I did with it in my 2.5g build thread, link below.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/new-shrimp-tank-petco-2-5g-with-mods-156283.html

Thank you very much for this info....very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom