Feeding betta in community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaSoul

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I’m new to fish keeping and I’ve been having a blast reading everything I can about the hobby. My 40 gallon is now fully cycled, the plants are filling in, and the fish are active with great color.

I have killed one fish ?. My king betta did great in the community tank for a month, looked at him one morning and he was doing fine, then 4 hours later he was floating. No outside damage was visible, so I did an autopsy and he was full of food. He didn’t appear bloated from the outside, but I’m pretty sure over eating was the problem. Water parameters were stellar according to my API kit.

I REALLY enjoy bettas in community tanks. He had his own 10GB for a month before I moved him in. After the move, he really colored up and was constantly on the move investigating everything. I never saw a hint of aggression between him and my corys and cherry barbs. But the issue with the food... I’ve read to crush up the Cory pellets and net the betta into a a breeder box during feeding time.

Does anyone have feeding tips for bettas in community settings? Although I’d like a betta as a centerpiece fish, I’m worried to try again...I have to admit I cried when I lost him. Or should I just stick to a solo betta in a 10GB?

Attachments

• 3D0C23FB-DE5A-4029-A772-82A4921E7B19.jpg
    3D0C23FB-DE5A-4029-A772-82A4921E7B19.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 34
  • C20DE3FE-B0CC-4899-93CB-B3BC1839E5D0.jpg
    C20DE3FE-B0CC-4899-93CB-B3BC1839E5D0.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 38
Really sorry to hear of King's loss.

I have had Bettas in my community tank lots of times. And things worked out. A couple times the Betta was too aggressive and went back to his own space.

One fish I have now seems to like having company in his tank so he has a few male Guppies/ Endlers to hang out with.

He is very chill, and only likes to eat his pellets. I use Hikari Bio-Gold Betta food. He eats the Guppies tiny pellets too (plus all the extra stuff incl. frozen defrosted and rehydrated freeze dried foods) but likes his own the most.

What kind of fish food were you using for King?

Most of the time I would simply feed the main fish first and then put the pellets plus extra for the fish who have the size mouths that can eat it in next to the Betta. and if I see him sitting at the top looking at me I would kick in a few pellets (they are pretty small).

The way I feed my current Betta takes a tiny bit more time but he is picky and because of health problems (Lymphocystis and a tumor, makes it harder to move for the food) I baby him.

I will drop in the main food first then add his pellets quickly, a few to get his attention.
Wait for him to notice, then keep adding a bit more at a time till he gets his serving.
He lets me push the pellets right over his head and usually he moves to grab them he just can't bend in a tight "U" or "S" quite like he used to.

Recently I had him with a mass of momma Guppies and Endlers temporarily and I actually used a cut open /bottom removed and part of the side, plastic cup /bigger like from starbucks as a "guard" to keep the other fish back from his floating food. (The mommas acted like a mass of piranha.) Shaped the cup so I could hold it with one hand and feed with the other, and help shoo away any others trying to sneak in, lol.

Um the Betta may have died because of

The cat in the picture may be guilty of terrorizing the Betta to exhaustion and died from stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom