Couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zefoxe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody!

Ok, I'm setting up a 45gal tank for my gf. I cleared out the sand and coral that were left in and filled it with water to check for leaks. Its been sitting for almost a week now and I want to get started cycling. My gf just order 2 Tetra Whisper 40 filters for each side. Will these do the job for the tank? As for the cycling, would I still need shrimp/ammonia if I got this http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=2243&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=cycle&sku=165590&familyID=13403& ? And if yes, could I use dead feeder fish rather then shrimp? I work at petco and can acquire them easily :p or should I use both? Thanks!

You're not going to get a good response on using Cycle. Most folks here tend to believe it's useless at best. Besides that, even with Cycle doing what it claims, you'll still need an ammonia source. I'm guessing that the dead fish would likely work, but then you're asking the question what did it die of? The shrimp was healthy, an then killed, so it's going to be fairly "clean".

well they normally die from stress because they have about 50 of them in a 20 gallon tank :\ but i see your point. what if i borrowed some of the fake plants and gravel from their tanks?

Can you obtain some seeded filter media from a few tank? Put the pad from a dirty filter into your new filter to help speed up the cycle. I have not had much luck with decor speeding up the cycle.

Good luck!

Skip the cycle, it is worthless.

I prefer the AquaClear filters over any other hob. Can you return the Tetras? ACs are silent and are very easy to customize. Or you could even go with a canister filter.

See my post here I just wrote about my Rena filter. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=90694

I would go with the XP3 for your tank. That will be a lot of filter for a 45 gal, but it will do a wonderful job, and since you will have 3 compartments for media. The first will be mostly mechanical, but you would have 2 compartments left for Biological and any other media your heart would desire.

Good luck!

Fishyfanatic said:
Skip the cycle, it is worthless.

why? :?:

and would it matter if i got a dirty filter from a salt water tank? My gf's uncle has a 100gal saltwater tank

The main reason why Cycle is not recommended is that it doesn't really contain the right type of bacteria that is found in established tanks. They now believe it's another kind involved in the nitrifying process. Also, most people don't believe the way Cycle is packaged creates environments which would keep the bacteria alive and in good health.

The best alternative is said to be Bio-Spora, and that is stored in a refrigerator (to lengthen the lifespan of the bacteria.) Even that has hit and miss levels of success, probably based on how long the store had it, and if the stock died off.

NeonJulie said:
The main reason why Cycle is not recommended is that it doesn't really contain the right type of bacteria that is found in established tanks. They now believe it's another kind involved in the nitrifying process. Also, most people don't believe the way Cycle is packaged creates environments which would keep the bacteria alive and in good health.

The best alternative is said to be Bio-Spora, and that is stored in a refrigerator (to lengthen the lifespan of the bacteria.) Even that has hit and miss levels of success, probably based on how long the store had it, and if the stock died off.

oh ok i thought they were saying skip the process all together, i was like wtf? lol
thanks i guess ill stick with the instructions on the cycle here

Neon is correct. I probably should have capitalized Cycle to avoid confusion. :) Wasn't thinking this AM.

Zefoxe said:
quote]

oh ok i thought they were saying skip the process all together.

If this was a choice, I think 99.9999% of people would take it. :p

Still, I think that the need for careful preparation and cycling is good, in that it tests fishkeeper's mettle, teaches them patience, and shows immediate consequences when things aren't tested/monitored, information isn't gathered/followed, and people try to do fast shortcuts and don't give nature time.

I doubt I'll ever get bored with my (future) fish... after spending so much time learning to love my empty tank with it's dyed/dried plants and bubbles, I figure I'll only love it more when I get my beauties in it. :p

ok would it matter if I seeded it with a filter from a saltwater tank?

It wont work. The SW and FW bacteria are different. You need a sponge or gravel or even just mulm from a cycled FW tank.

ok thanks for the clarification!!!

how about if I left a sponge soak in one of the tanks at the pet store i work at and used that?

The sponge would probably work, I would try to put it in a filter unit to help it accumulate bacteria. And if your using an actual sponge, make sure its not treated and is brand new.

Also, large pet stores like Petco are not known for the best kept tanks. I am sure you would know if that is true or not, but keep in mind you will collect bacteria from the tank, both the good kind and anykind that you may not want to have in your tanks.

jamesrm said:
The sponge would probably work, I would try to put it in a filter unit to help it accumulate bacteria. And if your using an actual sponge, make sure its not treated and is brand new.

Also, large pet stores like Petco are not known for the best kept tanks. I am sure you would know if that is true or not, but keep in mind you will collect bacteria from the tank, both the good kind and anykind that you may not want to have in your tanks.

thats for sure! i was going to put it in the tanks that rarely get used. A lot of other ones have been forming bad fungus in the tanks, etc. Unfortunately the higher ups are pretty much against giving us the materials to take better care for the animals and fish we have so we have to make do with what we have :\ I dont think the bio wheels on the tanks have been changed in some time, at least since I've been there which is 3 months :(

You would be safer getting it from a friends tank. Otherwise, its pretty easy to do a fishless cycle and be done in a few weeks. There are tons of great posts in the getting started thread, even a method to be done in 10 days.

I have heard horror stories about Petco, and have personally witnessed conditions of animal cruelty in their small animal sections. The one local to me actually seems to have their act together and a really nice fish section. I really think its hit or miss, and how bottom line driven the local management seems to be.

I am not anti-Petco, I just have heard more negative things about them as a whole than I have any other chain. I think its a credit to you that you want to improve the conditions there, and maybe someday the management will agree.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom