Crab tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish56

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How would I do it I know a little like they need land and I need a hydrometer how would I do salt it will be like less then half full what salt do I use how many can I get also it's 15 gallons I need a gravity of1.005

Fiddler or red claw crabs then?

As far as the best way to set up the tank, and how many you can have, first what are the dimensions of the tank?

I'd go up slowly to a SG of 1.008. Flucuations are OK, just be sure to keep them between 1.004 and 1.008.

Marine salt, not aquarium salt.

Yup OK almost the exact tank I have my crabitat set up in. You have a lot of options. For a while I had a sand slope coming up half the tank, which allowed for about 4 gals of water on the other side. Right now I have a floating island and mongrove root sticking up out of the water for air access and the tank about half full. I like to change it up :) I'll attach pics of both...might help you with ideas.
Picture 097.jpg
Picture 004.jpg

As far as how many, you can do four. Still, you never know what you are going to get, you might get an aggresive one that causes probs in the tank. That happened to me once. I got a nasty little male that killed my big docile male and ripped a leg from a tiny female. I hated that little crab. But typically 4 in a space that size is fine.

That's the filter I am going to use also can't they live with other brackish fish

Some can, some can't. Most of the crabs I have had are fine with fish. The problem becomes finding brackish fish that can live in a 15 gal tank that isn't even completely full. The most common fish you see that do well in brackish is mollies, and they need a 29 gal minimum. I've been wondering if I could do a small group of bumblebee gobies, if I raise the water level as high as possible, and if I can ever order them because I can't find them locally. Still researching them though so I'm not sure. Most brackish fish I have learned about so far require larger tanks.

How do you tell from male or female I was thinking 1 male 3 female or just all females

If I didn't get red clawed how many fiddlers also will they destroy plants

Same..those two crabs seem to have all the same requirements.

They do fine with hearty plants like java fern.

Back
Top Bottom