Crabby Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyLove6283

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!
I'm writing today because I need help adjusting my female fiddler crab! I don't believe the LFS woman gave me accurate information on her before I purchased her, but now I love her and don't want to see her go! :nono:
I currently have her in my 20 gallon Freshwater tank. The Store had her in a tank without a breathing area for her so I didn't think to ask if she needed one until I was home googling fiddler crabs and watching over a poor little crabby trying to climb up the air tube:confused:.
So I quickly placed the only thing I could find that could reach the top of the tank (A fake plant that she seems to love to climb on and around), and starting asking if she needed Brackish water... Wow what a controversial subject! I believe that to some extent the crab will always need a little salt in their water. And after asking around, a fish tank advicee informed me that all of my other fish would not make the transition. So I became stuck and I wondered if I should just take the poor crab back. Until that same amazing advicee:)thanks:) somehow made me remember that I have a five gallon tank sitting in my closet just waiting to be used! :brows:
So, I need ALL of the crabby advice I can get! Anything helps, I am planning on putting aquarium sand and some matching marbles on the bottom, have it halfway full of water with a breathing area, with a couple plants, a heater, and an air stone. I can post pictures if need-be. :popcorn:

Thank you so much for your time!

Haha oh it is! Nothing less for my girls. And of course! I think I have the brackish close to perfect:)

I have four fiddlers, a male and three females in a 10 gallon tank. I have half of it land (gravel) and half brackish water. Did a lot of research before getting them. I have several hides like U-joint PVC pipe, a small reptile "hut" on the land, and a couple of clay flower pots in the water along with two big rocks that help to "shore" the gravel, and some shells that you can buy at any pet store. I have a couple of fake plants too, bushy ones that they love to climb, and a piece of hardwood that has tiny branches that they also climb. I bought a fake "vine" too but it's too big and cumbersome to put in there and have it fit comfortably. Do you have a filter and heater for your crabs? I keep mine between 75-85F both in the water and on the land. I use a heat bulb suspended over the top.

I can't tell much from your pictures, but what size is the tank? Is it the 5 gallon you mentioned? You really shouldn't have fiddlers in anything smaller than 10 gallon, and even so, a maximum of 3-4 crabs. The males will fight. So its best to have only one male, or all females. It looks like your crabs may not have enough land space. Can you get some better pictures?

I have four fiddlers, a male and three females in a 10 gallon tank. I have half of it land (gravel) and half brackish water. Did a lot of research before getting them. I have several hides like U-joint PVC pipe, a small reptile "hut" on the land, and a couple of clay flower pots in the water along with two big rocks that help to "shore" the gravel, and some shells that you can buy at any pet store. I have a couple of fake plants too, bushy ones that they love to climb, and a piece of hardwood that has tiny branches that they also climb. I bought a fake "vine" too but it's too big and cumbersome to put in there and have it fit comfortably. Do you have a filter and heater for your crabs? I keep mine between 75-85F both in the water and on the land. I use a heat bulb suspended over the top.

I can't tell much from your pictures, but what size is the tank? Is it the 5 gallon you mentioned? You really shouldn't have fiddlers in anything smaller than 10 gallon, and even so, a maximum of 3-4 crabs. The males will fight. So its best to have only one male, or all females. It looks like your crabs may not have enough land space. Can you get some better pictures?

That sounds like an amazing crabitat! It is a 5 gallon, but I should move up to a 10 gallon? I appreciate the advice! I only have two females right now, and that's all I was planning on having, but I understand if they need more space! And I thought there was too much water in there when I took those pictures so I took some out! I will get some more pictures as soon as I have a second!

5g is perfectly fine for 2 females. You will want just enough water so they can soak in it basically. Your gonna want about 90% land and 10% water

5g is perfectly fine for 2 females. You will want just enough water so they can soak in it basically. Your gonna want about 90% land and 10% water

Okay perfect! I will take some of the water out but make sure I leave about 10%!

I finally had a chance to take some new pictures today, I have also put the fiddlers in a square tank instead of the other one, and they have much more space in this one!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394406418.890104.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394406434.204500.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394406446.990064.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394406462.862204.jpg

I agree, it's much better this way, but they do need more land space still. It would probably take up too much space in a 5 gallon, but a big, flat rock is really enjoyed by my crabs. Also, they make ledges for reptiles that stick on the glass with magnets that I was thinking of getting. The small size is 8" long and 4" wide. With a way to climb up on a ledge (small piece of driftwood wedged between the bottom of the tank and the ledge) it would also give them more useable tank space. They're called Magna Naturals Rock ledge, the small size would be what you'd want.

I agree, it's much better this way, but they do need more land space still. It would probably take up too much space in a 5 gallon, but a big, flat rock is really enjoyed by my crabs. Also, they make ledges for reptiles that stick on the glass with magnets that I was thinking of getting. The small size is 8" long and 4" wide. With a way to climb up on a ledge (small piece of driftwood wedged between the bottom of the tank and the ledge) it would also give them more useable tank space. They're called Magna Naturals Rock ledge, the small size would be what you'd want.

Okay awesome! Thank you so much for your help and advice:)

Back
Top Bottom