Pregnant or sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa Morris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help! I rescued a guppy that was being picked on from another tank and she seemed happy in this tank. She has been this big for quite a while, over two weeks, and no babies, so I’m concerned she’s sick. I put her in isolation with another who looked the same. Am i just looking at 2 pregnant fish?

Attachments

• 9CD71E23-237D-479A-B305-7F72DA2A42B3.jpg
    9CD71E23-237D-479A-B305-7F72DA2A42B3.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 44F92B14-E681-4585-8549-FF0D471614DB.jpg
    44F92B14-E681-4585-8549-FF0D471614DB.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 21
Help! I rescued a guppy that was being picked on from another tank and she seemed happy in this tank. She has been this big for quite a while, over two weeks, and no babies, so I’m concerned she’s sick. I put her in isolation with another who looked the same. Am i just looking at 2 pregnant fish?

Need to see a better, clearer picture of the anal fin area of the fish but it looks like a male in these pics so not pregnant. ;)

Here's just a simple example of why the internet is such a dangerous place to get your information from. Check this out: https://a-z-animals.com/blog/male-vs-female-guppy-key-differences-explained/ Scroll down just a little to the section "Comparing female to male guppies and look at the picture for the female Guppy. They are showing a male in the picture and calling it a female. You can tell because the male's gonopodium is clearly visible.
:facepalm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::facepalm::facepalm: If you didn't read the information ( which I didn't because if they can show a male for a female, how can I trust what they are saying is accurate? ) and just went by the picture, you'd be very disappointed when you NEVER got baby Guppies. :rolleyes:

Oh no

Need to see a better, clearer picture of the anal fin area of the fish but it looks like a male in these pics so not pregnant. ;)

Here's just a simple example of why the internet is such a dangerous place to get your information from. Check this out: https://a-z-animals.com/blog/male-vs-female-guppy-key-differences-explained/ Scroll down just a little to the section "Comparing female to male guppies and look at the picture for the female Guppy. They are showing a male in the picture and calling it a female. You can tell because the male's gonopodium is clearly visible.
:facepalm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::facepalm::facepalm: If you didn't read the information ( which I didn't because if they can show a male for a female, how can I trust what they are saying is accurate? ) and just went by the picture, you'd be very disappointed when you NEVER got baby Guppies. :rolleyes:

I’m not as disappointed as i am worried. Is it normal for a male to get that fat? And thank you so much!
Lisa

I’m not as disappointed as i am worried. Is it normal for a male to get that fat? And thank you so much!
Lisa
You still need to post a clearer picture to confirm it is in fact a male but no, it's not normal for a male to get that front heavy. Unfortunately, with so many hobbyists breeding fish and selling them to the stores, it could be a genetic defect that has been bred into the fish and carried forward. Was the fish this fat when you got it? Did you get this at a store where there were other males to compare this one to? Does the area get larger when you feed then smaller before you feed again?

Have you tested your water perimeters? And is he swimming "normal" with no effort to get to where he needs to go? I have tried to feed a blanched pea and see if that helps also if everything else is checking out ok. The pea diet will only help if that bloating is from constipation. That would be one suggestion I would try.

It's an internal problem, either a tumour or cyst. There's no cure for either and you just let the fish live until it has trouble swimming or eating, then euthanise it.

Back
Top Bottom