Cycling a 55 gallon Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlleyViper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!
I am new to this forum but have been coming here for years reading advice. I just set up a 55 gallon freshwater tank my neighbor gave me using a Fluval 305 filter. His tank was dismantled 2 days prior to me taking it home, but I am using his gravel, as well as 2 levels of Bio ceramic rings which I did not change from previous usage. I added 2 new bags of activated carbon to one of the levels of the Fluval as well. It has been running for one week now and has 5 zebra danios in it.
After 2 days of cycling here are the readings:
Ammonia - 2.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
PH 7.6

Now after one week of cycling the readings:
Ammonia - 2.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5.0 - 10 (been rising the last 3 days from 5.0)
PH - 7.4

Ok so now for some questions! Did I miss the Nitrite part of the cycle or is something else going on here? What can I do with my 3 levels of Fluval filtration to make it better at removing bad from my water? Should I do a partial water change for the ammonia in tank or no? Thanks!

Perfect thanks for the reply! I did a small change yesterday and 25% change this morning. Ammonia is almost undetectable and all of my fish seem much happier! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom