Cycling fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reason why the air stone was mentioned was your tap waters ph. It is not needed for a tank. I don't have one in my 110gallon but I do in my 35 gallon. It will help with surface agitation which allows your water to take in oxygen easier. If you have a hob filter you will most likely not be needing one as they provide lots of oxygen.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna dose my tank back to 4ppm when I get home tonight and then I'm going to test it tomorrow :) you have been very helpful. Will post new #s tomorrow

Did another test this morning after dosing my ammoniaback up to 4ppm last night. Seems to be the same nitrite leves. Will check it again tonight and does the ammonia again if I need to! Very excited!!

Still no ammonia change this morning. Is that normal when I was seeing a drop before?

I wouldn't worry about it yet, the 24 hour mark is the test you want to go by. Test again tonight and see what happens. :) Are you using any bacteria starters or anything? You're off to a great start!

Thanks! Nope no starters just my tap water with dechlorinater and my heater turned up with the ammonia

Patience is a virtue and I just don't have that one! Lol tried to be patient and not test last night wanted to wait the full 24 hours. Tested this morning and still no change in ammonia. Nitrites seem to be the same to! Ugh!!! I just want fishes!!!!! Lol

And question. I notice my waters a little low in the tank would it be ok to fill it back up or will it mess with already slow cycling!

I also am noticing that I have white stuff floating on the top of my water it's like small clusters that hard to see until I go to test my water and I have some in the little tube. Is this something to be concerned about?

Its fine to add water as long as its treated (conditioned) water-it wont affect cycling any respect. I am not sure what is floating on your water. Is it growing on the surfaces in your tank or only floating on the surface? You could try scooping it up or using paper towels & cleaning it off the surface of the water. Also, do a search on here for 'angelsplus' live filters (you should find a bunch of links to their site)- they sell live, seeded filters that quite a few people have used to quickly cycle their tanks.

I can't seem to find angels plus correctly or don't know what I'm looking for lol. I have a 3 gallon that's been set up since September and I need to change the filter and water change. Could I add that filter to my 20 gallon? Would it be worth it?

Ok- lets see if this works: Angelfish
You want to look for their 'live/active' filters. In respect to your 3g, changing the filter will throw this tank back into a cycle. You really should only be rinsing the filter in some tank water when you do water changes. Use it until its literally falling apart.

Send Librarygirl a pm & ask her what she recommends for a size of active filter for your size tank. You want to look in their 'store' section under 'filters'. You will see pics of their sponge filters with options for number & type of filters. You will see a box with a description that says 'active'- this is the type of filter you need. We just need to figure out the proper size!

Thanks! I sent librarygirl a message and I fount the active sponge. They only have 2 sizes a 3" and a 4" I'm assuming the bigger it can't hurt but im gonna wait to hear back from her. I still don't have an air pump but it seems it has to have one punning through it. Should I get one of those too?

My only concern with that is that I don't have any where to our it unless there's a way to hook the pump to the tank I'm very limited on space

I believe you need an air pump & some airline tubing to run it ($10 at walmart) though i think it can be cut up & placed in your filter as well.

:/ tested again thus morning nothing. Ordered the active filter from angels plus. Gonna go buy an air pump today and the hopefully it will go fast!

Yay!!!! Woke up this morning and tested. My ammonia was back down to about 2ppm and my nitrates seemed to be the same but at least there was some movement. It restored my aggravation to excitement! I dosed it back up to 4ppm and am waiting to see how long it takes for it to drop again. Already ordered the angels plus active filter so it's on the way and I bought the air pump with hose and an air stone yesterday! Yay for me!

Back
Top Bottom