Cycling mbuna fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monikastanic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I'm fairly new to this hobby and need some help with the cycling process for my mbuna fry tank.
Bascially I have a "northern blue" holding. She is on day 21 today and looks like she will spit fairly soon.

Yesterday I bought a 70 liter fry tank, which I was planning to cycle and then put the fry in there once it was done (the female is in a trap in the main tank atm).
To quick start the cycling process, I have put a sponge and dirty filter water from the main tank, along with some rocks and decor in it (also put 80% old water and 20% tap water mixed with prime).
I have also used API quick start knowing it probably won't work, but worth a go.

Now to my problem. I am quite sure one of the other fish in the main tank has malawi bloat and would like to treat it, along with the rest of the tank asap.
Obviously having a holding female in there is not going to make it possible.

So I have a bit of a dilemma here. Do I put the holding female in the fry tank and do a 50 % water change daily until it's completely cycled, so I can treat the main tank?
Or do I leave the main tank untreated with the risk of the fish with bloat dying and also the rest of the tank getting the disease?

I have tested the water for the fry tank:

PH - 8,2
Ammonia - 0,25ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 40-80ppm (can't tell as the colours are too close)

I know the nitrates are quite high, but these are the exact same levels I have in my main tank (I have been trying to get the levels down unsuccesfully for quite some time, but the fish seem to be ok).

Sorry about all the rambling, but I really want what's best for my fish and if there's anything anyone can do to help, I would really appreciate it.

PS my main tank has been set up since April and this is my second batch of fry (first ones died as one of the adults jumped into the fry trap and made a nice meal out of all 10).

I would suggest putting the lady in the uncycled tank. It is possible to get a fish in cycle completed, and diseases are always a bad thing.

Would you have any suggestions how to keep her and the fry in the tank as healthy as possible if the tank has not finished cycling.
Will daily water changes and testing the waters regularly be enough?

That should be ok.
With the old filter media, it shouldn't take too long for the cycle to kick in.
This is a good reason to always keep a few sponge filters going.

Back
Top Bottom