Cycling tank with established media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelseytingler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an established 55g cichlid tank, and am cycling a 40 with the filter media from my 55. Ammonia source is a betta right now, yes I haves tanks set aside for him when the tank is cycled... :) anyhow, I put the filter cartridge right by the intake of my aq 70 since it doesn't fit inside because the filter on my 55 is much larger.. I'm reading 0 nitrite around 3 nitrate, and suddenly .5 ammonia from next to nothing the past few days. It's been awhile since I've cycled, but his process was started on Monday. What levels should I look for to start adding the fish I want (not sure, thinking of angels or rams) and obviously remove the betta? When should the process be done? When do I remove the established media? I have 2 AQ 70s running on it. Should I do a water change today since the ammonia spiked or what? Should I add stress coat / start zyme etc? Like I said, haven't cycled in years... Thanks for the advice ;)

With the established media in there is say as long as the amm doesn't hit .75-1ppm don't do anything.. You'll want to see +10 nitrates and 0's on amm and trite to call it cycled.. If the amm gets high in the process you can do a w c for the comfort of betta... Shouldn't take long though with well established media.. You can also take whatever you gave stuffed in your 55 filter and squeeze it or shake it out in the 40, it will help it along even better.

Hello Kel...

The used media from the cycled tank will help cycle the 40 G. You'll still need to test the water in the new tank daily and remove and replace 25 percent of the water with pure, treated tap water when you have have a positive test for ammonia or nitrite. The nitrogen cycle just won't take as long. When you have several daily tests showing no trace of either of the above forms of nitrogen, the tank is cycled and you can add a few more, hardy fish. You resume the testing and water change procedure until the tank is fully stocked. Specifically when the tank will complete the nitrogen cycle is just guessing, but it should be less than a month.

B

I question the practice of adding filth to an aquarium to start the cycle. The crud that comes out of a sponge for example is mostly un-reduced fish feces, which must be consumed by bacteria to make ammonia. So, primarily you are adding ammonia. The nitrifying bacteria in the sponge is firmly attached and doesn't come out easily. I believe you would be better served if you were to scour the glass in an established aquarium to get some bacteria onto the filter sponge.When there is food the bacteria will grow fairly quickly, but you need to get them onto the filter element. Dumping filth into the tank doesn't do this very efficiently.

I question the practice of adding filth to an aquarium to start the cycle. The crud that comes out of a sponge for example is mostly un-reduced fish feces, which must be consumed by bacteria to make ammonia. So, primarily you are adding ammonia. The nitrifying bacteria in the sponge is firmly attached and doesn't come out easily. I believe you would be better served if you were to scour the glass in an established aquarium to get some bacteria onto the filter sponge.When there is food the bacteria will grow fairly quickly, but you need to get them onto the filter element. Dumping filth into the tank doesn't do this very efficiently.
but it can't hurt;) this is supposed to be fun right?? Who wants to scour glass?

Whenever I'd get a new tank, since I have 2 AC 110's on my display tank, when I get a new setup, I use the oldest media from one of my filters, cut it to size and plop it in the new filter and stock the tank. I've never ever had problems with cycling a new tank if you already have an established aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom