Cycling/water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigoodman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im in the midst of a fish in cycle. When I do my water changes I use an aqueon gravel vaccuum. I was just wondering if it's counter productive for me to be sucking all of the fish waste and any loose food out of the gravel during the changes. Does this help cultivate the bacteria if i leave the gravel untouched? Im assuming im doing the right thing by sucking it up but I just wanted to be sure.

You're fine, most of the beneficial bacteria grow in the filter. :)

You're fine, most of the beneficial bacteria grow in the filter. :)

Thank you and i actually am interested in getting some khuli's in a few months after my tank has cycled u seem to be the right person to get information from on them should we start a new thread or could you just give me some info on here?

I'm not sure if starting a new thread is necessary. I'm glad you're interested in them! They're great little guys:) I'm really not an expert on them, I was just a little obsessed at the time I made my account :) just make sure you have a healthy, cycled tank, get at least 3 of them because they like to snuggle, have lots of hiding places and no big fish to eat them and I think you're good to go. Mine pretty much eat anything that falls to the bottom, they love crawling in crevices and tight spaces, and they go CRAZY when the lights go out ;)
It takes them a few days to acclimate though so don't expect to see much of them when you first put them in the tank- they're great at hiding.

I'm not sure if starting a new thread is necessary. I'm glad you're interested in them! They're great little guys:) I'm really not an expert on them, I was just a little obsessed at the time I made my account :) just make sure you have a healthy, cycled tank, get at least 3 of them because they like to snuggle, have lots of hiding places and no big fish to eat them and I think you're good to go. Mine pretty much eat anything that falls to the bottom, they love crawling in crevices and tight spaces, and they go CRAZY when the lights go out ;)
It takes them a few days to acclimate though so don't expect to see much of them when you first put them in the tank- they're great at hiding.

Thanks :) and it's okay i just needed a general opinion on them from someone whos had them before :)

I think you might want to make a new thread :) I'll watch for it though!

Edit: oops sorry at first it said that message failed!

Back
Top Bottom