Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
herp_mommy said:
Adding a smaller fish to the mix will go downhill fast. Try to add one the same size and age of the initial group you got. Only problem is that they tend to pepper more with a darker substrate, but I dont mind. Freckles are cute.

I agree with this. Some people likes the peppering. If it looks good for the owner then everything is ok. Also, you can avoid buying pigeon based discus(no peppering).

DanS180 said:
and yes i do want plants so i dont wanna take out all the sand, i dont have a whole lot of decor in my tank so the plants really make it stand out

If you don't want your tank to look empty, you can also add DW. I prefer large pieces of manzanita because they look like tree roots.

roydooms said:
If you don't want your tank to look empty, you can also add DW. I prefer large pieces of manzanita because they look like tree roots.

Ill figure it out eventually, gotta do some water changes first

I agree with the advice against the pleco. The botia and ag cory both prefer cooler water than what you'll need for discus. If you go for cories, sterbai are definitely the right choice for higher water temps.

Don't get overwhelmed they aren't that hard I have substrate /plants my discus are loving life just change the water regularly and test your waters like once a week and I bet you'll do just fine besides its the challenge that makes it fun right

Jesselav1233 said:
Don't get overwhelmed they aren't that hard I have substrate /plants my discus are loving life just change the water regularly and test your waters like once a week and I bet you'll do just fine besides its the challenge that makes it fun right

Yes this is true! Lol thank u for that

Oh and I didn't buy 6 at once I have 4 now and started with 2 they all love each other no aggression now my friend has had different experiences with this but that's my point just try what u can it's all luck of the draw if u ask me don't be afraid to try u can do it

Oh and I didn't buy 6 at once I have 4 now and started with 2 they all love each other no aggression now my friend has had different experiences with this but that's my point just try what u can it's all luck of the draw if u ask me don't be afraid to try u can do it

how big were the discus when you first bought them???

1. That should be fine. Add some MTS to stir the sand. Your assassins will control the MTS population. I also stir my sand using a stick or just my finger every now and then just to make sure than no gases will accumulate.

2. I'd wait till you get at least a 40B before I buy 6. There's a $1 per gallon going on at petco right now.

Okay roydooms, I went out to Petco today to see what they had, they do have a 40g breeder but i wrote down the dimensions and i really have no where to put a tank that size in my apartment with an 180g already in place lol so i might get the 29H but havent decided yet, i have until July 1st to decide(end of sale)

Next, i bought 3 Assassin Snails today. It appears theres 1 empty shell lol anyways, 1 of my snails is moving along just find but the other one seems like he keeps digging himself in the sand?? is that normal???

paytertot said:
Yes that's normal, assassin snails are substrate dwellers.

Okay cool :) just making sure and i do have 3 of em, I thought one shell was empty but he was just hiding lol

Have any of you ever bought Discus/fish from SomethingPhishy.com??? they have really really cheap Discus and i was just wondering. Seems like all of the cheap ones they have are about 2 inches. Anyone recommend this?? If i bought from this website, i could buy 6 with no problem :)

DanS180 said:
Have any of you ever bought Discus/fish from SomethingPhishy.com??? they have really really cheap Discus and i was just wondering. Seems like all of the cheap ones they have are about 2 inches. Anyone recommend this?? If i bought from this website, i could buy 6 with no problem :)

Ive heard awful, awful things about the quality an health of their discus. It's best to get them directly from a breeder. I got mine direct from a local breeder for $15-$20 each

herp_mommy said:
Ive heard awful, awful things about the quality an health of their discus. It's best to get them directly from a breeder. I got mine direct from a local breeder for $15-$20 each

Well I'm having a bit of trouble finding a breeder, can u point me in the right direction? everytime I think I find something good it winds up not being

DanS180 said:
Well I'm having a bit of trouble finding a breeder, can u point me in the right direction? everytime I think I find something good it winds up not being

I can get you the name and contact info for my breeder. He ships

Well i sent your breeder, Chad an email, seems like he sold everything at NADA over the weekend and said he wont have anything available for a few months :/ not helping me of course lol any other ideas??

Back
Top Bottom