Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
Well i sent your breeder, Chad an email, seems like he sold everything at NADA over the weekend and said he wont have anything available for a few months :/ not helping me of course lol any other ideas??

Ah, darn. Do some retailer research on the feedback for discus. Google "(company name here) discus feedback" or something like that

herp_mommy said:
Ah, darn. Do some retailer research on the feedback for discus. Google "(company name here) discus feedback" or something like that

And just read feedback?? I've been on numerous websites and although the reviews are good, discus owners tell me not to lol so i have no idea what to do, whether I should take a chance or not lol ahhhh

Hey I see your in nj you should take a trip to hidden reef in Levittown PA I have 4 from there and they are doing and look great the place is awesome

Jesselav1233 said:
Hey I see your in nj you should take a trip to hidden reef in Levittown PA I have 4 from there and they are doing and look great the place is awesome

About the 4th or 5th time I've heard of this place lol i think I might consider, how much are they?? Ballpark of course

DanS180 said:
About the 4th or 5th time I've heard of this place lol i think I might consider, how much are they?? Ballpark of course

No ball park exact price ( I'm there every week) small(like 3 inch) 35
Large(like 4-5 inch) 50
It will very in between those ranges depending on the color they are I saw one huge Marlboro they wanted 85 for but nobody's buying him its a really good store the staff is mostly kids but it's a very clean and well maintained place if I was u I would just plan a day trip and get some

Jesselav1233 said:
No ball park exact price ( I'm there every week) small(like 3 inch) 35
Large(like 4-5 inch) 50
It will very in between those ranges depending on the color they are I saw one huge Marlboro they wanted 85 for but nobody's buying him its a really good store the staff is mostly kids but it's a very clean and well maintained place if I was u I would just plan a day trip and get some

Awesome, how many would you recommend I buy for my first batch?? I've heard numerous amounts from 2 to 4 to mainly 6. Trying not to break the bank BUTTTT my bday is in a couple weeks and my girl said shed buy some for me too :)

Umm hard for me to say I bought two first and then added two after waiting almost two weeks then got two more after another two weeks and it worked out fine for me but all my friends that have kept discus for years tell me to get at least five or six in one shot and since u have a 180 gal tank If u can swing it money wise i would get five or six but I don't think it's detrimental if u only got two at first either

Jesselav1233 said:
Umm hard for me to say I bought two first and then added two after waiting almost two weeks then got two more after another two weeks and it worked out fine for me but all my friends that have kept discus for years tell me to get at least five or six in one shot and since u have a 180 gal tank If u can swing it money wise i would get five or six but I don't think it's detrimental if u only got two at first either

Don't be fooled bc i have a huge tank haha I'm not rich, just got a steal on it :) but okay I guess ill make up my mind eventually :)

DanS180 said:
Don't be fooled bc i have a huge tank haha I'm not rich, just got a steal on it :) but okay I guess ill make up my mind eventually :)

No no it just I have a 55 so six is my absolute max if I had the 180 (jealous) I'd put like 18 of these bad boys in there lol

Yeah wait till you see it man the fish section is HUGE it's just walls and Walls of tanks salt and fresh they prob have about ten discus tanks of assorted colors it's awesome I strongly suggest you ask how long the fish have been there don't buy them no matter how pretty it is unless it's been around the store at least a week and asked to see it eat if it doesn't eat like a pig don't take him good luck man I've never seen or heard of any sick discus from there but no place is perfect and just because I don't use a qt tank doesn't mean I'm right it prob is more risky but that's the way the cookie crumbles

Jesselav1233 said:
Yeah wait till you see it man the fish section is HUGE it's just walls and Walls of tanks salt and fresh they prob have about ten discus tanks of assorted colors it's awesome I strongly suggest you ask how long the fish have been there don't buy them no matter how pretty it is unless it's been around the store at least a week and asked to see it eat if it doesn't eat like a pig don't take him good luck man I've never seen or heard of any sick discus from there but no place is perfect and just because I don't use a qt tank doesn't mean I'm right it prob is more risky but that's the way the cookie crumbles

:)! Thanks for all the advice! I will take it all into consideration when making my purchases! Sure to post pics when i get them! :)

Okay so I haven't made it to hidden reef yet buttt another member told me to try a specific seller on aquabid, I could get a batch of 8 different discus for $120. All fish around 2 inches each.. think I should go for it?? Others have had great fish and experience with this guy

DanS180 said:
Okay so I haven't made it to hidden reef yet buttt another member told me to try a specific seller on aquabid, I could get a batch of 8 different discus for $120. All fish around 2 inches each.. think I should go for it?? Others have had great fish and experience with this guy

It's a great deal! Just remember juvies will need lots of small feedings throughout the day. Like 4 or 5 imo

Hi

I keep discus and just one other fish a gold nugget pleco. I have had no problems at all with him. He leaves the discus alone and they leave him alone. And the colours of the gold nugget really look good along with the colours of the discus.

paytertot said:
It's a great deal! Just remember juvies will need lots of small feedings throughout the day. Like 4 or 5 imo

Gotcha, i might go thru with it but I'm not sure yet :)

Guinness said:
Hi

I keep discus and just one other fish a gold nugget pleco. I have had no problems at all with him. He leaves the discus alone and they leave him alone. And the colours of the gold nugget really look good along with the colours of the discus.

Thanks for your input! It's good to know :) hopefully I'll have my own discus soon enough :)

Back
Top Bottom