emergency koi fish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
my dad unexpectedly brought home 3 koi fish home. i cant put them in my tank because its only 20 gallons and i got an oranda in there. what should i do with them?

This is the perfect excuse to build a pond in your backyard :) OR you could return the fish, but that's just going to be boring.
can i put them in a swimming pool? and also i put them in the tank until i get something else for the koi fish tomorrow.

can i put them in a swimming pool? and also i put them in the tank until i get something else for the koi fish tomorrow.

Pools are filtered but have cholrine in them which is toxic to fish, that's a big nono...

It's a temporary solution FOR NOW, nothing long-term. If you wanted to keep them in a tank, for three I'd say we're looking around 150-200 gallons, they get around two feet long easily...

Pools are filtered but have cholrine in them which is toxic to fish, that's a big nono...

It's a temporary solution FOR NOW, nothing long-term. If you wanted to keep them in a tank, for three I'd say we're looking around 150-200 gallons, they get around two feet long easily...
i dont mean a huge pool i mean like a kiddie pool for a a little while until i can get a tank or something

Sure, just make sure you cycle it beforehand! :D If you have a filter on-hand and some established media and lots of decholrinator you could put them in there.
yes i actually have a filter in my tank i can use for the pool because i actually have 2 filters

if you have a baby pool...
124504babypool.jpg

that would house them temporarily. It will be like a small pond :)

if you need a really cheap filter, you can use the outdated, box 'corner' filters!
box%20filter3.jpg

they are still effective as ever. Get a battery operated airpump.

works like a charm for temporary housing. And you can transfer filter media from your established tank for quick seeding (y)

good luck :)

my dad unexpectedly brought home 3 koi fish home. i cant put them in my tank because its only 20 gallons and i got an oranda in there. what should i do with them?

Since your father brought them home, it's his responsibility to buy you a big butt pond for them. Even a larger tank wouldn't do. Since you have 3, they would outgrow just about anything you could keep in the house.

LyndaB said:
Since your father brought them home, it's his responsibility to buy you a big butt pond for them. Even a larger tank wouldn't do. Since you have 3, they would outgrow just about anything you could keep in the house.

They are actually comets. What if i put them in seperate kiddie pools for the time being. What filter might i need?

Back
Top Bottom