Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lola

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm going to have a 25-gallon aquarium with 4 male Guppies and maybe some shrimp. I'm new to aquariums, and I have a few questions about the equipment: First, does a 150 watt water heater overheat my aquarium? Second, my substrate will be flourite black and I would like to know if it is possible to make water changes only with a hose? Third, does a gravel cleaner and a water change siphon mean the same thing? Thanks for your answers.

Hi lola.

Regarding heaters, rule of thumb is 2.5 to 5 watts per gallon. So a 150 watt heater would be on the large size for 25 gallons. However, assuming it has a thermostat, it shouldn't overheat your aquarium as it should cut off when the water gets to the preset temperature. The risk would be if the thermostat failed your heater would heat the tank excessively, more quickly than one of a lower wattage.

With regards to can you do water change with just a hose, i suppose yes you can. But i wouldnt advise it. You need to somehow create the syphon, and the only way i can see of doing that with just a hose would be to suck on one end. There is a risk of disease and getting water in your lungs. I dont understand the relevance of the black substrate with regards to this question.

With regards to the gravel cleaner/water change syphon, generally they are the same thing. But, i have seen some gravel vacs that wont do water changes (or at least wont without extra bits of kit).

Thank you for your answers. For the substrate I put the mark because maybe some kind make the water changes more complicated.

A lot of hoses add chemicals to help prevent mold etc that you won't want in your tanks, so don't recommend a hose unless you're getting something like an RV water hose.

That heater should be fine , but I would get a heater controller too . InkBird is a good one . And look into the Python cleaning syphon . Last for years so worth the $ .

I have this:
0GBAyRBoH-7kAibFdn5H5295w

I really find it too cumbersome. do you think i could cut it to make it smaller?
(Do you see the photo?)

Don't see the photo here , but I could see it in the email alert I got about this thread . That is just like the Python , just a different manufacturer . You can shorten it . Just pull it off the large end and cut then put it back on . I would save the part you cut off in case you ever need it longer you can get a fitting and put it back together .

Back
Top Bottom