Figure 8 Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1998golfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I am wanting to get a figure 8 puffer. I have not bought anything yet, and want to clear a few things up first:
1. I was planning on getting a 20 gallon, very small chance of a 29 gal. 20gal big enough for a fig 8?
2. if it doesnt come with a canister filter (from craigslist) i will buy a sunsun canister filter from eBay. Are canisters OK for brackish?
3. Can I use media from my FW tank to seed a brackish tank?
4. What is the best salinity? What type of salt do I use?
5. Can I use tap water? I can't get RO/DI water, so if I have to use RO/DI water, this is a no-go.
6. Do I use normal gravel? sand?
7. Where can I get a fig 8 puffer?
-I can't find them online
-No pet stores in my area sell them
-Maybe someone on here?
8. Breeding snails for them
-ramshorns and pond snails, correct?
-what is a good breeding setup?
9. Can I use my API Freshwater master test kit?
10. Anything else I need to know?

Thank you all so much!
-1998golfer

A 20 gallon tank would be sufficient. A canister filter should work for brackish water and sand in my opinion would be a better option for substrate. Rams horn and pond snails are the easiest to breed and would be consumed.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A 20 gallon tank would be sufficient. A canister filter should work for brackish water and sand in my opinion would be a better option for substrate. Rams horn and pond snails are the easiest to breed and would be consumed.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Okay thanks!
what kind of breeding setup for snails (cheapest version possible)
and answers to the rest of my questions?

Thanks!!
-Golfer

Bump! Anyone know? I found out my local petco can get them in, and they said they actually keep them in brackish water at the store, not freshwater like most! They said either 6.99 or 8.99 each, which is good!

A 5 gallon tank with no substrate and a pair of snails would work. I believe liveaquaria sells figure 8 puffers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A 5 gallon tank with no substrate and a pair of snails would work. I believe liveaquaria sells figure 8 puffers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. Would I need a filter for the snail tank?
You have to pay 30$ shipping and there is a $30 minimum on orders. So I'll get it at petco :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. Would I need a filter for the snail tank?
You have to pay 30$ shipping and there is a $30 minimum on orders. So I'll get it at petco :)

I don't think it's a absolute must have but they do poop a lot if you feed them alot

Okay thanks!
what kind of breeding setup for snails (cheapest version possible)
and answers to the rest of my questions?

Thanks!!
-Golfer

I have a figure 8 puffer and have owned them before but i just set up my tank again and I have 1 in about 20 gallons of water with some bumblebee gobies. If you get bumblebee gobies just have plenty of hiding spots.

For my snail tank i have a 10 gallon tank with an old tetra hang of the back filter with a sponge on the end. I also have a small cheap heater some black sand and a very low light plants. My snail tank is also a chery red shrimp tank and I did it that way because snails are just boring to watch so why not have something pretty to look at. if you want I can post pictures.

everything 1998golfer said is correct. Do not get trumpet snails as they are too hard for the puffers "teeth".

I suggest you get a refractometer(about $20-$25 on amazon). i used the floating hydrometers for a while but for a few bucks more i got the highly accurate refractometer. my puffer is still small and my current salinty is 1.001 and every two weeks i plan on raising it up .001 until i get to about 1.004-1.006SG. While many people say brackish fish are used to drastic salinity changes, which is true, they are forgetting that you have beneficial bacteria in your tank which are not used to these changes so you want to be fairly accurate with you water changes as to not kill off the BB.

If you have a freshwater tank, which is what i used to seed mine, you can seed your brackish tank. Just set up your new tank and cycle it with the filter media of your established tank then once established slowly bring up the specific gravity like i said i was doing above. You can use this helpful calculator to help you gradually raise the SG.
Target Salinity Calculator

I have a figure 8 puffer and have owned them before but i just set up my tank again and I have 1 in about 20 gallons of water with some bumblebee gobies. If you get bumblebee gobies just have plenty of hiding spots.

For my snail tank i have a 10 gallon tank with an old tetra hang of the back filter with a sponge on the end. I also have a small cheap heater some black sand and a very low light plants. My snail tank is also a chery red shrimp tank and I did it that way because snails are just boring to watch so why not have something pretty to look at. if you want I can post pictures.

everything 1998golfer said is correct. Do not get trumpet snails as they are too hard for the puffers "teeth".

I suggest you get a refractometer(about $20-$25 on amazon). i used the floating hydrometers for a while but for a few bucks more i got the highly accurate refractometer. my puffer is still small and my current salinty is 1.001 and every two weeks i plan on raising it up .001 until i get to about 1.004-1.006SG. While many people say brackish fish are used to drastic salinity changes, which is true, they are forgetting that you have beneficial bacteria in your tank which are not used to these changes so you want to be fairly accurate with you water changes as to not kill off the BB.

If you have a freshwater tank, which is what i used to seed mine, you can seed your brackish tank. Just set up your new tank and cycle it with the filter media of your established tank then once established slowly bring up the specific gravity like i said i was doing above. You can use this helpful calculator to help you gradually raise the SG.
Target Salinity Calculator

Sounds great, looks like I'll have to save a bit more for the snail setup. How long should I give the snails to breed before I get my puffer? And can I mix the types of snails in the same tank?

Sounds great, looks like I'll have to save a bit more for the snail setup. How long should I give the snails to breed before I get my puffer? And can I mix the types of snails in the same tank?

It can take a little while for the snails to become the proper size but if you have a LFS close to you then you can just stop by every once or tiwce a week and ask them if they could give you some snails. this is what I have done and I am still doing because my snail population hasnt exploded yet. I have a lot of eggs sacs all around the tank and i see baby snails but they arent the proper size yet.

You can mix the snails. i did this by accident but it was a happy accident. i found pond snails on some of the plants i put in the tank and they seem to grow quicker than the ramshorns and their adult size seems the perfect for the puffer to pick up and crunch. i just wish there was a brackish water snail that could breed in the aquarium.

It can take a little while for the snails to become the proper size but if you have a LFS close to you then you can just stop by every once or tiwce a week and ask them if they could give you some snails. this is what I have done and I am still doing because my snail population hasnt exploded yet. I have a lot of eggs sacs all around the tank and i see baby snails but they arent the proper size yet.

You can mix the snails. i did this by accident but it was a happy accident. i found pond snails on some of the plants i put in the tank and they seem to grow quicker than the ramshorns and their adult size seems the perfect for the puffer to pick up and crunch. i just wish there was a brackish water snail that could breed in the aquarium.

Cool thanks. I heard elsewhere that the different snails ate each others eggs

Cool thanks. I heard elsewhere that the different snails ate each others eggs

I have heard of snails eating fish eggs and worse case scenario you end up with 1 type of snail. I have never had a problem with this but maybe others have. you can always try it and find out and like i said you end up with only 1 kind of snail instead of 2.

I have heard of snails eating fish eggs and worse case scenario you end up with 1 type of snail. I have never had a problem with this but maybe others have. you can always try it and find out and like i said you end up with only 1 kind of snail instead of 2.

Yeah ok. Can't wait to get my puffer!

Back
Top Bottom