Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I need to clean out my canister for the first time in a month or two but I need to find new things to fill it with. Is the anything I can buy at Walmart to be used in the canister

Why do you need new things to fill it? Unless your using some fine polishing pads that are clogged. If not just take it apart and clean the sponges in a bucket of discarded tank water by giving them some good squeezes and rinse. Clean the biomedia with a swish and rinse with discarded tank water as well. If your using carbon, throw it away and get some more bio media and fill the canister with it. Don't need to replace anything until it is falling apart, which will take years. You need to know what kind of canister you have to know where to get replacement parts. Walmart may have some bio media if you need more. If not LFS will have some.

Yea just wanted few extra things like some people say good things about polyfil and was wanting to know if I could grab that from Walmart

You mean he should throw away the carbon because it isn't the best product to use? Or throw it away and replace with more?

I'm gonna be taking mine apart too in about 3-4 weeks I guess.

Any advice on taking apart my canister very near the end of a cycle? Too fragile and prone to a disasterous mistake?

Carbon is a waste of space and not needed unless your removing meds or toxins. The filter space is better used by bio media. Poly fill will clog fast in the canister and is better suited for a HOB dedicated to mechanical filtration. This depends on you stocking though. Don't clean your filter if your just ending your cycle. Leave it alone for a few months. I only take my canister apart a couple times a year and that's with oscars.

Back
Top Bottom