Filter Media for Fluval 404

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chadthedad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to get filter media for my Fluval 404. I plan on filling it mostly with biofilter material like the Fluval Biomax variety. I was wondering if anyone uses something more generic or less expensive? I have found that many people find uses for other products for there aquariums (i.e. pool filter sand, 3M colorquartz, nylons, etc.) I just thought I would see what was out there as an alternative to the Biomax stuff.

Thanks!

In my filters I have the standard black sponge, cermic rings (this can be any brand), and filter floss. You can get filter floss at Wal-Mart a lot cheaper than the lfs. It's basically craft bating. I think a big bag of it is somewhere around $5. I spent $35 at the lfs for the same size bag. The only thing you will ever have to replace is the filter floss.

Another really good and inexpensive item is plastic pot scrubbers. Not the antibacterial kind. I get them 3 for a $1.00, and use them in all my cannisters. They act exactly the same as plastic bio balls for a fraction of the cost. For filter floss I buy bulk 100% polyester batting for pillows from Walmart. Again, not the antibacterial or hypo allergenic kind and cut my own sizes. I have several tanks, so I need to keep costs down. :)

Another really good and inexpensive item is plastic pot scrubbers. Not the antibacterial kind. I get them 3 for a $1.00, and use them in all my cannisters. They act exactly the same as plastic bio balls for a fraction of the cost. For filter floss I buy bulk 100% polyester batting for pillows from Walmart. Again, not the antibacterial or hypo allergenic kind and cut my own sizes. I have several tanks, so I need to keep costs down. :)

Finally...the secret to maintaining all those tanks!!!

I don't have nearly as many tanks as Zagz but I use the filter floss trick as well.

Back
Top Bottom