Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

granny50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a question an I am afraid that it is a stupid question but here goes- I bought my tank and equipment used- the filter is a penguin I believe. Anyways the thing that hangs down long in the water has a piece about half way up with vents, you can either open or close this part. What is it for and should it be open or closed.

Thanks for all your help, I feel kinda silly but I would feel worse if it was something that i am suppose to be doing and dont .

Thanks
Granny

if it's like my penguin, that little vent just affects water flow. i think. it doesn't seem to really matter if it's open or closed.
intake at the top and the bottom?
i know that if i have my sponge sleeve on the bottom, the biowheel won't spin if the top isn't open a little bit...
i hope this helps.
i think that it's mostly personal preference.

Really it is to allow inflow at the bottom and middle for more thorough cleaning.
I personally left that piece off and only have the bottom piece of tube connected to the top piece and filter screen sits at the mid level of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom