Filters -- Canister choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi people.

I'm going to upgraid my water filter so i'm considering 2 filters

EHEIM 2215 vs FLUVAL 305

Which one is better. less noisy, more powerful ?:confused:

i have both a fluval 305 and 405 and i love them both. Most people on here recommend either fluval or rena canisters. I cant hear my fluvals running even when i put my ear right up to them. What size tank are you planning on putting the filter on?

I have 3 fluval 404's and I can't hear them running at all. I also have 2 rena xp3's and they are silent as well. Both do a great job with filtrations :) and get an A+ from me for ease of use, including cleaning and priming. The fluval is easier to prime than the rena though, however neither are hard to do.

Well i have 55g, they got fluval 305 and 405. Which one would be more significant for my fish?

I would go with the fluval 405. I have the fluval 404 on my 55, the 405 is an updated model of the 404, they are virtually the same. The more filtration the better IMO, and IME.

Before you buy in a fish store, check out some of the online retailers, you can find these much cheaper online as most pet stores have at least a 100 percent mark up. I lucked out with the 404's and got mine for 70 dollars each off of ebay, brand new.

I am using Eheim 2236 on my 60 Gal with a HOB to break the water. The Eheim has been excellent, easy to clean, Easy to prime and very silent. I have never used Fluval , but from what I hear people like them. I say either canister is great. At this point, shop around and snag the best deal.

We have a fluval 404 on our 80, a 305 on our 40 and 2 405s on our 55 (seeding for our new 120) and have had no problems at all with noise or maintenance. A few things to remember with the fluvals though, when you're doing your monthly maintenance, we've found it's easier to get it to prime if you fill it back up with dechlorinated water then prime, and also the intake has a basket with a flow control ball, make sure you take that basket off and clean it out. Plant matter can get stuck around the ball and decrease the power of the filter.

Thanks a lot guys great info. I wish all the best to everyone and happy new year! :hat:

Just bought Eheim 2217 on a Craiglist great shape but I can't remove the head lmao.. need some instruction on how to remove that head. I went to the eheim official website but manuals are very poor...

the eheim is by far the better canister looks like you made the right choice. wish i could help with the top.

Thanks mgamer, I finally removed a head, all the media are cleaned with a spring water and placed back. I can't believe that its so silient and its powerful too, definatly increased a water circulation in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom