Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightshark

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone. I have an old Rena filstar xp1 laying around from the last setup I had. Can I use this and an aquaclear 70 on my 45 gallon tank or is that too much? The tank measures 36x12x24.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank Filtration

Hey everyone. I have an old Rena filstar xp1 laying around from the last setup I had. Can I use this and an aquaclear 70 on my 45 gallon tank or is that too much? The tank measures 36x12x24.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello Night...

The Hagen 70 alone would be enough. Change the tank water often enough and you don't need a lot of filtration.

I have an AC 50 on my 45 G. But, I like to remove and replace half or more of the tank water every few days to keep the dissolved wastes out as much as possible. But, use whatever you think is best.

B

I am not sure on the flow rate of those particular models, but for filtering a fresh water tank I always try to keep the flow at 10x the tank volume per hour or less. Going over that amount is getting to be a bit much for some fish.

Back
Top Bottom