finally taking the brackish plunge...help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so we picked up a bucket of instant ocean today. just need some clarification on how to calculate how much salt to start off with etc.

1. i've read on badmanstropical website to use 1-2tbsp per gallon. and i know i should start it off so it reads 1.002 on the hydrometer. My hydrometer goes in 4s. starts at 1.000 then 1.004, 1.008 etc. so i'm guessing i should just eyeball it? its the marineland swing arm hydrometer.

2. We use a rubbermade container for mixing water. It holds about 20gals of water. Our tank is an 80.

3. How do i figure out how much water is actually in my tank? It is an 80 but once you add the sand, rocks, driftwood it will decrease the ammount of water in the tank.

4. How do I start? lol

I guess I'm just scared of screwing something up.

Help please!

oh ya for those who don't know about my set up.

I have a green spotted puffer and some snails...thats it. Plants, val, cambomba caralina (spelling?) java fern and a crypt

It's pretty simple math :) You can calculate how much salt you need, and then fine tune it if you want. For instance, I think Instant Ocean says 1.5lbs of salt will make 5gal of water at 1.024 salinity. In that case, you can cut it in half and .75lbs will make 5gal at 1.012 SG. You can use a kitchen scale to measure, they're usually pretty accurate. To turn this into an equation, 1.5/24*sg will give you how many pounds of salt you need to make 5gal of water at specified sg(use 12 for 1.012). After you mix, you can use a hygrometer or refractometer to fine tune it if you want.

--Adeeb

this is y u dont put fish in there, fill the tank up. throw salt into the tank wait a couple hrs. test the water for salinity. if its over what u want, add more freshwater to the tank. if it need more salt add more till u hit the salinity you want this is how i do it.

as for water change, i always have 2 bucket of BW sitting.

for A 80gallon i would throw in about 5cup ... the salt should come with a cup.

so you take your fish out for a couple hours?

and no the salt didnt come with a cup...

but thanks guys i think we figured it out. i have sitting just below the 1.004 mark on my hyrdrometer. and my gsp seems to be doing better than he was, like hes more active now, looks happier. (my hydrometer goes in 4s. 1.000, 1.004, 1.008 etc)

Back
Top Bottom