First time, trying not to go too wrong.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatal Foxglove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first time actually setting up my own tank. I worked in a pet shop for a while, so technically I'm not completely clueless, then again I also quit because they were getting me (someone completely untrained in anything vet-related) to give the puppies their medications and shots. So as we can tell this isn't the best place to rely on for information.

I'm trying to just get the tank set up first and I know that it takes ages before you actually put any fish in, but I'm not completely sure on all the equipment I need. I've read that since I have a 20 gallon tank I should have a flow rate of at least 80 gallons. I'm trying to read through reviews of filters now and I'm more than a little swamped, so any advice on filters I'd greatly appreciate.

Also, I've been looking at heaters and it seems like I'll need anything from 50 watts to 100 watts depending on what I'm reading. I'll be keeping the fish in a room that's generally around 68F, and I've read that I'm supposed to keep the tank at 77F (unless I'm forcing my fish into a fever...? But I'm trying not to get too complicated yet, much less boil any poor unsuspecting fish) So I shouldn't need too heavy-duty a heater, at least in theory it seems.

I've not decided on the types of fish yet nor the plant life, I just have a very insistent 8-year-old who wants "a fish that eats other fish". Though I've warned him repeatedly the first couple of fish may end up not doing too well, so we'd be starting with very resistant fish. At any rate I'm not sure of any 'fish-eating' fresh water fish that would fit into my tank without being cramped or deprived of oxygen/ swimming room. On top of that I'm rather fond of the clown fish and it's colours so if anyone has fish advice after the pioneers I'd appreciate any help.

Basically I'm clueless and trying not to get it too wrong.

Hi, welcome to the hobby and to AA!!! You have a lot of reading ahead of you, but the good news is folks here have all asked the same questions before and can help steer you in the right directions.

I'm trying to read through reviews of filters now and I'm more than a little swamped, so any advice on filters I'd greatly appreciate.
Check out:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i2/Equipment/filters.htm
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/category_display.php?CatID=107&sort=rating

I think that a Hang-On-Back (HOB) power filter would be the easiest to maintain and cheapest option for your 20G. I highly recommend an AquaClear. You should probably shoot for something a little higher than 80GPH. I would recommend 200GPH to give you room to grow. As you can see, the price delta is not very big.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/search/...on=sitebuilder/catalog3-1&keywords1=aquaclear

So I shouldn't need too heavy-duty a heater, at least in theory it seems.
The rule of thumb is 5W/G so we're looking at 100W for a 20G tank. Keep in mind that you may need to raise the temp on occassion for treatment of ich for example. I woud recommend a Jager or a Visitherm Stealth heater.

Check out the AA articles on fishless cycling, and read up the fish profiles in the forums to get an idea of what you or your 8-yr old might be interested in. www.liveaquaria.com has lots of useful pictures and profiles as well.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=755
Clown fish are actually salt-water fish, so you could try posting in the SW forums as well to ask for advice. Most would recommend that you start with FW first as the capital investment is pretty substantial for SW unless you're only doing a FOWLR tank, and you really don't want to decide that the hobby isn't for you after >$1000 invested in equipment!!! Good luck and have fun!!!

If I have learned anything, don't skimp on heaters and filters. I'm personally a big fan of the Tetra Whipser HOB filters and the visitherm stealth heaters. I have had great success with both. 100 watts for your heater would be about perfect. Bzbee is dead on though about sticking with a freshwater tank for your first experience. Salt water is drastically more difficult and far more expensive, not to mention more difficult to maintain. I would definetly recommend a peaceful community setup and explain to your son that predatory fish are best kept in the sea! Good luck!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would also recommend the Aquaclear 50 (200 gph). It has a large media chamber and uses a foam block that you will rarely ever have to change. You'll save some money by not having to buy cartridges for it. :D

Welcome to AA!

*An off-topic note: I use Blacksoul as my theme for AA and I had to change it to read your red text*

I agree with Severum mama in regard to the AquaClear. I have mine for 7 months and haven't had to change the foam once...just rinse it out with tank water and it's good to go.

So after reading far too many reviews for my own good I decided to try the Aquaclear filter from my local petsmart (that way if my impeller does end up giving out right after I set it up they have a great return policy) It looks like a good option for a beginner tank. Thank you for the cichlid-forum review site bzbee, and thank you all for the welcome and the very welcome advice (I swear no more puns for at least tonight)

Now I get to spend ages perusing more heater reviews, but I'm leaning towards the visitherm.

*An off-topic note: I use Blacksoul as my theme for AA and I had to change it to read your red text*

Thanks, I didn't realize the theme could make my posts unreadable! I'll stick to black.

**edit** Actually after looking at a few more reviews tonight the Hydor Theo Heater looks like a promising heater. Does anyone use this heater? Or have pearls of wisdom to share?

Back
Top Bottom