Fish for Fluval Chi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Fluval Chi coming in the mail, and I am thinking, what type of fish should I put in it? A Crawfish? A Beta? Tetras? Pleco? I have no idea. I kind of am not sure about another Beta though, as I have a 5 gallon tank with a Beta and three tetras. Oh, and I got two Koi in there as well,( I know, I shouldn't have them in a 5 gallon tank, especially with that amount of other fish) But I got it for free from a friend who won 4 at a fair, and has no room in his tank for all 4, so he gave me two. They seem to be fine though. Anyway, I was wondering, what kind of fish should I get for this tank? It is an open top tank, so maybe one that doesn't jump out?

Brandonaki360 said:
I have a Fluval Chi coming in the mail, and I am thinking, what type of fish should I put in it? A Crawfish? A Beta? Tetras? Pleco? I have no idea. I kind of am not sure about another Beta though, as I have a 5 gallon tank with a Beta and three tetras. Oh, and I got two Koi in there as well,( I know, I shouldn't have them in a 5 gallon tank, especially with that amount of other fish) But I got it for free from a friend who won 4 at a fair, and has no room in his tank for all 4, so he gave me two. They seem to be fine though. Anyway, I was wondering, what kind of fish should I get for this tank? It is an open top tank, so maybe one that doesn't jump out?

Give those koi the 5 gallon, while you build a pond... Or a 200 gallon tank. Your about to have 2 very large problems on your hands. On another note, the tetras also need more space... A ten gallon at least, and they don't mix well with koi, (two very different climate zones... They're not aggressive... They'll just die.) so the tetras should get their own ten gallon.

I have a Chi in the kitchen and the only thing I feel comfortable putting in it a beta. The filter is not very good and I hate getting my fingers wet turning on the light, but it the tank does look good and I LOVE the noise the water makes. I know you'll enjoy it but don't stock the heck out of it.

How would one Dwarf Puffer do in the Fluval Chi 5 gallon? or two? I really like these guys, but not sure if a 5 gallon open top tank would work. Thanks for all the helpful responses by the way! Seems like another Beta it may be, unless of course you guys think the Dwarf Puffer would be ok?

Brandonaki360 said:
How would one Dwarf Puffer do in the Fluval Chi 5 gallon? or two? I really like these guys, but not sure if a 5 gallon open top tank would work. Thanks for all the helpful responses by the way! Seems like another Beta it may be, unless of course you guys think the Dwarf Puffer would be ok?

Those things need 30 gallons minimum, and are brackish fish... Not freshwater.

yeah,but once you reach a certain tank size,5 gallons per puffer is good...i think.
Yea, Because I read somewhere that there should be 5 gallons per one Dwarf Puffer. Just thinking if I could get away with two, But maybe just stick with one as I hear they are messy and like their own territory.:fish2:

Brandonaki360 said:
Yea, Because I read somewhere that there should be 5 gallons per one Dwarf Puffer. Just thinking if I could get away with two, But maybe just stick with one as I hear they are messy and like their own territory.:fish2:

He said once you reach a certain tank size... Meaning say 20 gallons for the first, 25 for two, 30 for three, and so on.

Brandonaki360 said:

If it's open top DO NOT put a Betta in. They are notorious jumpers.

or a shrimp tank.
Hmm, would a shrimp get along with a Beta? And I would move the Koi, but they jump, especially the bigger one, and Its an open top tank...so yeah lol. I wish I was able to get another bigger tank or a pond for these koi, but can't. I used to have a 5 gal with a goldfish AND a Koi, and they lasted a awhile. Of course that was when I didn't know goldfish needed to be in a minimum of what, like a 30 gal tank? I am still a newbie of course lol. I feel bad for the koi though, as I have no where else to put them.

Back
Top Bottom