Fish Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eienna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK, so I have some time (don't even have my tank yet) but I'm researching fish. I need some suggestions because there are just so many out there. I'm thinking relatively peaceful, for about a 20gal tank (hoping for more space but haven't discussed it with my mom yet), and possessing rich and/or bright colors. Any recommendations? In case it matters I'm going to fishless-cycle the tank first and would very much like live plants.

And what, exactly, is a python?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!

You seem to be doing yoru research so that's great! In case you haven't seen it, thsi article has some good info and it covers the basics: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Is it a 20 long or a 20 high? That in itself will determine fish choices. A 20 gal either way is a good size though and there are quite a few options. My first thought is to go to your local fish store(s) and see what they have and write down any fish that interest you, then go home and research research research. Ask here too, we can help determine compatability, etc.

A Python is an automatic water changer that hooks up to your faucet that will drain and refill water so you won't have to use buckets. It's great for larger tanks. I don't know if they still make the Python brand but Aqueon sells a similar one (I have one myself) and it's great. Amazon.com: Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer - 25 Feet: Pet Supplies

Do you know what the chemistry of your tap water is (i.e. Hardness/Ph) ? Most fish will adapt to stable water but if you can find fish that like yours oftentimes they are healthier and more colorful.

Not yet, no, but I intend to find out as soon as I can get a test kit. This is going to go slowly because I'm trying to get my wedding paid for at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom