fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catadromous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Don't growl at me.. seeded my filter with a friends filter material..fish in cycle. numbers are still coming back flat 0's all round.
Question i have is how to stop micro bubbles.?
there is no visible particulate floating in the water, just teams with millions of micro bubbles.. do i turn off the air supply to the power head and just stick with the air stone?

Jebo 375 with power head and top filter box. also running medium size are stone

i have controlled the micro bubble problem to some degree.
I cannot turn off the power head because the same pump feeds the filter.
so instead of the pump blasting cross ways in the tank i retro-fitted a small drink bottle with holes cut in the bottom to the pumps tank outlet via a small hole up the neck of the bottle.. the outlet also has a small air venturi attached.. it actually works very well and gave me an idea for a homemade skimmer fashioned from it. if only i had a few more inches of top space :) . the drink bottle is not a permanent edition and is currently not fitted. I plan to purchase a short length of clear tubing around 3 inch circ and make one from that.

62361-albums9551-picture38343.html
62361-albums9551-picture38343.html
62361-albums9551-picture38343.jpg

62361-albums9551-picture38342.html

62361-albums9551-picture38344.jpg

62361-albums9551-picture38344.html

Yeah definitely looks like it. Aeration is important but normally as long as there's adequate surface movement the water has plenty of oxygen. I don't run filters + air stones because it's not necessary in most cases, but I do like the aesthetics of it.

i only ran that drink bottle like that for a few hours and in that time it gave the water surface a head like a pint of beer. 1/4 inch of bubbly frothy goodness.. needless to say.. it is disconnected now and re-thinking it.. it really needs the input to be at the bottom of the chamber with the output near water surface. need to make a bit of custom plumbing. i am considering making a skimmer from it. i have experience in making large skimmers for large holding tanks, possibly do not need it for a freshy tank, but why not eh..

It's either that or i give the powerhead the ol spanish archer, elbow, heave ho ;0)
and then put in a small pump to feed water into the filter.

Back
Top Bottom