Fishless Cycle Stall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the notification! So as I said, right now I'm going to assume everything is fine in the tank, but I really would like to know what it is I got. I did some net searches for images of different types of algae and fungus and whatnot and couldnt find anything that looked like my issue (Though it may just be too early to tell what it is). I have noticed that the tank is now FULL of the the little specks, just floating on the current. Im thinking a rinse of the plants and a PWC may not be a bad idea, and maybe a filter media swish in some tank water. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Don't mess with your filter media until your cycle completes, that could just cause you additional problems.

If you're insistent on removing it, you could do a PWC and vacuum out what you can if you wanted with minimal impact to your cycle.

my opinion is that you should just leave things as is until your cycle completes, then get it all cleaned up.

Okidoki!

Ill take your advice then. Im starting to think its diatom from my reading (Though Ive had trouble getting a picture to confirm it). Thanks so much! Ill keep things chuggin.

Am I being too impatient with my cycle?

I too am doing a fishless cycle, and I feel I've stalled out (but I'm probably just impatient).

12th 13th 14th 15th 16th 17th

PH 8.0 8.0 7.8 -- -- 7.6

NH ~1 1 2-4? 2ish 2 2-4?

NI 0 .25 .5 .5 1 .5

NA 0 5 10 10 20 10

my water temp is fluctuating a bit because it's been so flippin' hot my AC has not been able to keep up. When I've seen it, it's been between 78-80. My cheep heater is not adjustable btw.

Some people say that bacteria like the light, others say they don't. Any ideas?

Am I being too impatient with my cycle?

I too am doing a fishless cycle, and I feel I've stalled out (but I'm probably just impatient).

12th 13th 14th 15th 16th 17th

PH 8.0 8.0 7.8 -- -- 7.6

NH ~1 1 2-4? 2ish 2 2-4?

NI 0 .25 .5 .5 1 .5

NA 0 5 10 10 20 10

my water temp is fluctuating a bit because it's been so flippin' hot my AC has not been able to keep up. When I've seen it, it's been between 78-80. My cheep heater is not adjustable btw.

Some people say that bacteria like the light, others say they don't. Any ideas?
How long has your cycle been going? Has it only been 6 days? I would not expect any major changes for the first few weeks. Just keep the ammonia levels up to 4-5ppm. Get a good, reliable (and adjustable) heater now, or any fish you put in there will be rather unhappy. Crank up the heat, and the airstone(s).

As for the light, the only reason to have light on is to support any live plants that you might have. If that is not an issue, then turn it off. Algae will thrive as the Nitrates increase, and keeping it relatively dark will help to reduce the algae.

My tank has been going and going and going and going and going and....well, you get the picture. At first, I was patiently waiting for bacteria (a few weeks), then I bought some gravel from a fish store's 'established' tank to provide a source of bacteria and speed up the process. After another 1.5 weeks of zeros, I could only conclude that I had wasted $6 on the 'established' gravel, went to another store to discover how truly crappy the test strips are and to beg and plead for filter squeezings. They convinced me to buy a bottle of bacteria that set me back $10. Low and behold, that very next day my numbers started moving. That is when I started recording the above levels.

Off to check my water again (and play with Sammie the Splendid Beta). He's not wanting to eat the pellets, but he loved the blood worms I gave him yesterday.

On your first post, you have only ammonia showing up. Now you have ammonia, nitrites and some nitrates showing, so that (simplistically anyway) says that your cycle is going fine.

"My tank has been going and going and going and going and going and....well, you get the picture. "

Actually, it doesn't tell us that we need to know. Can you post anything more specific? How many days/weeks since you set up?

Agree with turning off the light during the cycle if you can. Ammonia + light = Algae bloom.

I set up the tank somewhere around the 27th of May. My ammonia was nice and high and my nI and nA were zero until the 12th when I started to record the levels.

18th--> NH 2, nI .5, nA 10
19th--> NH 2-4?, nI .25-.5?, nA 10-20?

I think I need to stop trying to read the tubes at night; I think the over head lighting is causing some of the confusion by throwing shadows that then make me doubt the reading even more.

If the tank has only been cycling since May 27th, I would not expect it to be done yet. What are you using as an ammonia source? What you want to look for is a total and complete irradication of all ammonia and nitrites. If you are adding ammonia manually, then a 4-5ppm ammonia addition should be wiped out overnight. That wll tell you that your cycle is complete.

a raw shrimp has been my ammonia source, but it doesn't seem to be able to get my levels above 2, so I'm adding fish food also again to try to force my ammonia up even higher--I'm afraid of adding too much though and stalling out my cycle because of too much ammonia, so I guess I've been erring on the conservative side.

I aim in the area of 4-5ppm for ammonia, and that will allow the bacteria to grow to a level that will support whatever you plan to stock your tank with immediately after the cycle completes.

If you are struggling to get it at 4, then don't force the issue. If you want, you can throw in another prawn and if your amm goes too high, take it out (or take out 1/2).

Also, don't test at night when it's dark and you have either incadescent lighting or fluro lighting to work with. I also find it is so much harder to read the results. If you can, do it during the day.

My home is dim even during the day. What I do is line myself up so that a lamp is shining over my shoulder, through the tube, with the white part of the card behind the tube. This lets me see the color pretty well.

Okay, so two shrimp (one of which is floating now and keeps wrapping itself around the filter intake), random bits of fish food, one move necessitating a pwc, and sunlight readings still have me at 2 NH, .25 nI, and 20 nA.

I do have some brown spots developed on my heater, as well as some white spots, general filmy gunkiness on the gravel, heater, cords etc.

I used some bacteria in a bottle that really kickstarted my cycle (went from zeros across the board to the levels I've been lurking at for the past few weeks overnight) left. Would it harm anything to use some more of that in case my bacteria died during the move? I tried to keep the filter media wet the whole time, but I don't think I was completely successful (there are a questionable 15 or so minutes).

I just really can't figure out why two decaying shrimp can't seem to get my NH levels up past 2-4 ppm (depending on the light and my guesswork).

Don't force it. A 2-4ppm ammonia is fine for fishless cycling. Perhaps you have enough ammonia-eating bacteria to take care of some of the ammonia you're adding in. I also see your nitrITE rising, so you should see ammonia going down to 0 soon enough.

If you did lose some of the bacteria during the move, then this will simply mean that the cycle may take a little longer. I doubt you lost it all, so it shouldn't take too long to re-establish the bacteria colony to where it was.

Personally, I've never had any success with any type bacteria in a bottle, despite using it as directed. Save your money, and let nature take its course. You can't rush it if it won't be rushed.

K. The bottle was for 44 gallons so I do have plenty left. I was skeptic about the B in a B too after reading all through this forum (and others), but when I bought it I was 3 weeks into zero.zerozero readings and the LFS said that their customers swore by it. It was only $10, so I took the chance.

You'll have to mention how it works, Im on day 30 or so and im still at all zeros sept ammonia. I did read somewhere on the net about someone who was in similar situation and at day 37, her tank did half its cycling in one day (You cant always believe what ya read but its a nice thought)., then she was done at 67 days. Patience blows but im hopeful it will pay off, its an exciting new hobby! :)

Back
Top Bottom