Fishless Cycle Stall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a normal cycle takes between 4 and 6 weeks
i have no experience with fishless cycling , but from the numerous articles i've read over the net, you will NOT GET any n-ites in the first 5-7... even 9-10 days,

just think
normaly tap water contains 4k-10k bacterias per liter,
to have an established cycle you'd need 4-5 MILS per liter
they double population in optimal food and light conditions every 12 hours
(i understand ammonia has to be 4-5 ppm and light has to be low for the AMO-n-ites transformation, and light has to be a bit higher for the nitrites to nitrates one ... only have found this info in one source and i forgot to save the link)

so basically the first week you'd only get VERY MINOR bacterias presence.
do a couple of PWC's with improperly de-chlorinated water, and you've prolly killed half of them.

your cycle should read something like this

day 0 -> 0 NH /// 0 no2 /// 0 no3
day 1 -> 4 NH /// 0 no2 /// 0 no3
.... same till day 10
day 10 -> 3 NH /// 0.5 no2 /// 0.1 no3
then you add some more nh(=ammonia)
day 11 -> 4 NH /// 0.6 no2 /// 0.1 no3

The stuff is called Turbo Start #700 (Fritz - Turbo Start #700). I don't know if it's common at other LFS because it looks like it's made locally. It's refrigerated and all. I guess it contains both type of bacteria cause both my nI and nA jumped immediately. But then I think I killed them all somehow or doing something 'cause my numbers really didn't change from then on...I have no idea. Anyway, I just dumped some more in today--we'll see what happens. I read comments some place that there is also a product called biosphere (maybe?) that isn't a complete waste of money.

When I started this whole fish tank process, I never thought I'd be actually purposefully buying bacteria. Though, I guess this practice of buying bacteria is becoming more common with all the yogurt and Activia ads around.

Last edited:
Ya, I think the stuff your thinking of is Bio-spira and its kinda hard to find at the LFSs, I know none of the stores in my area carry it but you have to make sure that its properly carried (has to be refridgerated and stuff). If your looking for the bacteria in a bottle, this one supposedly works very well. I imagine there are some other threads on this board for you to get some more info on the 'spira. For me I just have to be patient and hope to start getting something in the next month, id love to see at least ONE nitrite...just a lil' one...

Back
Top Bottom