Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ph 8
Ammonia : 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates : 80

I'm assuming dose back up to 3 ppm and see what happens? Looks like my bb only like 2.5. Lol.

:-(

Let's try this- instead of 3, dose 2.75 & not a drop more. Your guys are fine with 2.5 but we can't seem to break past this. Maybe you can trick them...lol. :)

jlk said:
Let's try this- instead of 3, dose 2.75 & not a drop more. Your guys are fine with 2.5 but we can't seem to break past this. Maybe you can trick them...lol. :)

Ok I'll do 2.75 and not a drop less. Lol :)

PH 7.8
Ammonia : 0
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 80

Should I dose to 3 ppm? Baby steps. Lol.

Question;
If one is not planning on fully stocking their tank right away. Is it necessary to cycle to 4 ppm? Or could it be cycled at a lower ppm in ammonia ? Just food for thought ;-)

Yep, 3 it is!

To answer your question, yes, its fine to cycle to a lower amount if your not fully stocking a tank right away. This is especially true with small tanks (such as a 5g betta or shrimp tank), theres no need to cycle to 4ppm because a single small fish or some shrimp will never carry the bioload that you may see in larger/overstocked tanks. Your biological filter (bb) adjust both upwards and down to the capacity of a tanks bioload (within reason, of course!) but just bare in mind this doesnt necessarily happen in 24hrs (and can take much longer). :)

jlk said:
Yep, 3 it is!

To answer your question, yes, its fine to cycle to a lower amount if your not fully stocking a tank right away. This is especially true with small tanks (such as a 5g betta or shrimp tank), theres no need to cycle to 4ppm because a single small fish or some shrimp will never carry the bioload that you may see in larger/overstocked tanks. Your biological filter (bb) adjust both upwards and down to the capacity of a tanks bioload (within reason, of course!) but just bare in mind this doesnt necessarily happen in 24hrs (and can take much longer). :)

Ok cool that's exactly what I thought.

Now in my case. I plan on getting few fish. Every couple weeks ( pay day :) ) if I were to cycle to 4 ppm. But not fully stock right away. Is there the chance the bb will adjust down because I'm not fully stocking right away. And when I do get to full stock that throughout the way I would see mini cycles ?

Yes, your bb will adjust down from 4ppm after your initial stocking. Then, as you add new fish over the weeks, they will adjust back up to the increased bioload. You may see spikes for a day or even a few days until they increase up (but hopefully not long!). A few extra water changes until everything settles down. You also may not see spikes at all. Just continue testing as you add fish & everything should be fine! If you run into a snag and are unsure, just ask! :)

So do you think I really need to cycle to 4 ppm ?

Here's my plan.
I'm going to get my Cory cats first. ( 8 panda Cory's). I want to get my sons beta fish out of his bowl and put him in the tank for a while. I want to get a small 10 gallon tank with filter etc. and put that in the boys room.

I will probably have the Cory's and the beta in the tank for 2-4 weeks before I add other fish to the big tank. At that time the 10 gallon tank should be cycled to put the beta in it and probably a school of neons or something.

The other fish I plan on putting in the 60 gallon are not compatible with the beta.

What do you think ?

Let's get you steadily cycled to atleast 3ppm because this seems to be the sticking point in your tank right now (maybe 3.25). You then can use a bit of media from this tank to quickly cycle the 10g. Sound ok?

I don't have betta experience but from what I have read, I don't believe your going to be able to easily stick neons in with him (I may be wrong?). You may want to ask about this! :)

jlk said:
Let's get you steadily cycled to atleast 3ppm because this seems to be the sticking point in your tank right now (maybe 3.25). You then can use a bit of media from this tank to quickly cycle the 10g. Sound ok?

I don't have betta experience but from what I have read, I don't believe your going to be able to easily stick neons in with him (I may be wrong?). You may want to ask about this! :)

Sound ok to me. We will go day by day. Thx

jlk said:

Ok maybe not neons maybe danios

Lmao!!! Go ahead! Curious to see how your tank handles it! But, I will have to wait til sunday to find out- no cell service where I'll be tomorrow night! Use your good judgement tomorrow. If it zeroes, redose. If it doesn't, either wait or only add enough to bring things from where they are at to 4ppm. Hopefully, it will be all zeroes! :)

Back
Top Bottom