Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 60 gallon tank that im going to fish-less cycle here soon. Got a new baby that will be born here in two day so I have to wait a bit.
Question is : I have been doing a lot of research on fish-less cycling. If I'm right I am suppose to add ammonia to the water and wait for 1 hour and test it till I get a reading of 4 ppm. Test it every day till I get readings of nitrites and continue to dose to 4 ppm. Once I start seeing readings of nitrates then dose down to 2 ppm or ammonia. When my ammonia converts to to zero in a 24 hr period and have traces of nitrites and nitrates still, still dose 2 ppm. If nitrites spike do a water chance to get the numbers down. When readings of 0 in nitrites and ammonia and only have reading of nitrates. Then the cycle is done.

Am I right or not ?

You have a general idea but what works in one persons tank (or 10 peoples tanks) may not necessarily work in yours. Everybodys water is a bit different and everybodys cycles are a bit different as well. Also different things need to be considered such as the size of your tank and the planned stocking. A 5g tank that will house a single betta does not need to be cycled to 4ppm while a 75g that will be intentionally overstocked with cichlids may be cycled at 5ppm or more. Quite a few different variables! Also, one thing you did forget to mention was ph- this is critical in a cycling tank & needs to be checked daily for changes in order to prevent cycle stalls. When your ready to take on a fishless cycle, let us know & we can help point you in the right direction for what you have planned! Congrats on the new baby!!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Calculator

jlk said:
You have a general idea but what works in one persons tank (or 10 peoples tanks) may not necessarily work in yours. Everybodys water is a bit different and everybodys cycles are a bit different as well. Also different things need to be considered such as the size of your tank and the planned stocking. A 5g tank that will house a single betta does not need to be cycled to 4ppm while a 75g that will be intentionally overstocked with cichlids may be cycled at 5ppm or more. Quite a few different variables! Also, one thing you did forget to mention was ph- this is critical in a cycling tank & needs to be checked daily for changes in order to prevent cycle stalls. When your ready to take on a fishless cycle, let us know & we can help point you in the right direction for what you have planned! Congrats on the new baby!!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Calculator

Thank you jlk .
I have been reading other threads and seen that you give a lot of help to people out there. When I start the cycle I'll be sure to keep updating and hope your here to help. This is my first aquarium.

This is one area I can not advise on- I am afraid my experience is limited coldwater tanks & cycling. I only have general knowledge of tropicals & do not have the experience to advise in these matters in respect to stocking. Hopefully, Mumma.of.two or Librarygirl (or another one of our experienced members) will come along & can further advise you! :)

jlk said:
This is one area I can not advise on- I am afraid my experience is limited coldwater tanks & cycling. I only have general knowledge of tropicals & do not have the experience to advise in these matters in respect to stocking. Hopefully, Mumma.of.two or Librarygirl (or another one of our experienced members) will come along & can further advise you! :)

I was just wanting to let you know the stock options in case it made a difference in the cycle

Thanks! Cycling to 4ppm is meant to handle most tanks stocking plans without an issue. I will suggest though researching your proposed stock & asking questions as well. The stock advisors are not foolproof- they are only designed as general guidelines for fish. :)

This stuff has surfectants, fragrances & dyes. The ammonia you want to use should only list ammonium hydroxide & water. Try the Ace Hardware store locator to see if one is somewhere near you or try Dollar Tree.

jlk said:
This stuff has surfectants, fragrances & dyes. The ammonia you want to use should only list ammonium hydroxide & water. Try the Ace Hardware store locator to see if one is somewhere near you or try Dollar Tree.

Thank you for the fast response. I almost bought it.

I just read on another site that the Walmart brand great value ammonia is used by aquarium enthusiasts
What do you think?

My cell cut me off before I finished writing! This stuff has ingredients you do not want in your tank & will be hard to get out if you did use it. Just look for basics- water & amm hydroxide. If you get desperate, amazon sells the Ace stuff & few other brands. Good luck in your search- it can prove more difficult than you may realize. :)

My Walmart doesn't sell anything aquarium-friendly but that doesn't mean yours doesn't. Just check the ingredients before purchasing & you should be fine.

jlk said:
My Walmart doesn't sell anything aquarium-friendly but that doesn't mean yours doesn't. Just check the ingredients before purchasing & you should be fine.

I'll check on in here within the next couple days and you can let me know if it's okay

So in going to get ammonia today and an API master test kit.

How much ammonia do I put in the tank to start?

60 gallon tank

Ammonia at Walmart says its ingredients are. Ammonium and surfactant.

Is this still not okay to use because of the surfactant in it ?

Ok so I got the ammonia from ace hardware.

Is this the stuff?
I had them print the MSDS for me. No ingredients are listed so I guess it's just ammonia and water.

Back
Top Bottom