Fishless-cycling w/bottled bacteria-ongoing build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome, Boring Name! Lol.

Ok, Thursday 12 Feb

Sorry skipped last night.
Not feeling well. Nothing was required other than monitoring anyway.

Tonight's numbers:
KH 3
pH 7.4
Am. 4 (night before last I wrote "2", but they may have been an error in reading the results since the shades of green for 2.0ppm and 4.0ppm are similar, at least at night by indoor incandescent light.)

NI 0 (With no change in NI or NA, I am even more convinced I was in error two night ago.)
NA 5

*In summation*, the bottled bacteria from Microbe-Lift has had FOUR 24-hour days to show some change in the water parameters. The only definite change is in the KH, which can probably be attributed to the new wood and/or the EC. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!

I'm going to email the company directly tonight if possible, and/or call tomorrow to discuss returning the unopened bottle and getting a refund.

No where in the literature, on the bottles/directions, or on the website, is there any mention of WAITING to add fish (thank goodness I did!) or checking the progress of the bacterial growth with ammonia (also, thank goodness I did that, too!) if I had added fish as I might have assumed I could had I not had this forum, I would be doing fish-in cycling and never know the product wasn't working.

As described in my initial posts for this thread I did everything possible to give the Microbe-Lift products a fair shake. I even bought every possible product they sold that could possible help. What a waste of $$$.

The invoice says explicitly that no refund will be given if products are shipped back without prior authorization. So after I get it and get the bottles shipped back, I'll drain the tank, replace the media, and start from scratch the old-fashioned way - getting the proper bacteria from the air or finding seeded bacteria.

In fact, if anyone out there with a healthy tank and extra media appreciates that I "took one for the team" and tested out bottled bacteria under the most encouraging conditions possible for ALL our edification, and would like to then send me a bit of said media, I would REALLY appreciate it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423796560.175078.jpg

Thanks you..

Jen

PS: Direct message me for my addy. :)

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

If the bottle bacteria see if the store you bought it from can give you the rinsings of some of their seeded material.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish Wrangler - I ordered them straight from the company to get the freshest, best treated product. The invoice has a phone number I will call in the morning.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

One member that has sold it in the past is MrFisher. I would PM him in case you are looking for seeded media. He sells it as filter sponges which can be cut to fit for your filter. This can cut the cycle time down to days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

thanks Jen for doing this little experiment, hopefully this will help prove to some people that these products do not work. For a few dollars (or free at a good LFS) you could of got some seeding material and your tank would be cycled by now. I really hope they give you a refund. These companies shouldn't be selling products with false claims.

what state are you in? maybe someone that lives close to you can ship you some seeding material or a sponge.

I so wish I had read this a little earlier. I used AngelsPlus seeded filter and it has literally cycled my tank within 3 days. I didn't need the entire sponge and just got rid of the extra bit. I would have gladly sent the rest of it off to you. If you're still in the market, I recommend them. It works like a charm :)

Great minds thinking alike!!

Thanks anyway! I ordered from a member on here that was recommended for seeded filters (MrFisher) and will probably get it Wednesday. I was at a great LFS today getting plants and picked up a seeded filter from them too!

I planted a lot today as well as adding the LFS filter - see pic.

I saw an excellent sale on Long Fin Gold Danios listed in the PetsMart flyer, 5 for 4$. (or could have been the other way...) Anyway, If I can drive safely tomorrow (ice, snow, etc. I'm in the DC area, so it shouldn't be too bad compared with you all farther north!)

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 53
BTW, I'm now cataloging this build over in the Planted Tanks section since I'm done with the bottles.

Please join me there, folks!

:)

Back
Top Bottom