Fishless-cycling w/bottled bacteria-ongoing build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all!

I'm not a complete newbie, but I am still learning even after several years in the hobby with FW community tanks. I know the "ideal" way to build beneficial bacteria (BBs) to process the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium is to fishless cycle with naturally occurring BBs, which has taken me six weeks or more on my own. Finding a "dirty" or seeded filter or other media from a cycled aquarium speeds this process up considerably. [For more info - see the stickies at the top of this forum on the nitrogen cycle and on fishless cycling.]

As we moved several states from my old home and my tank and equipment had to be in storage for several months, I had to give away all my stock and tons of plants *sniff*. So now I'm starting from scratch with my 55 gal. I don't know fishy people here IRL yet, nor have I managed to get in contact with any aquarium clubs. I have found a couple good LFS's but am reluctant to get seeded media from their tanks, just in case there is something nasty brewing.

So with that said, I did some online research and decided to give Microbe-Lift products a try. In order to minimize possible bacterial die-off from sitting on a shelf in a store, and to give the "fairest" possible trial to the products, I ordered them directly from the manufacture and am using them today, two days after their arrival.

Here's what I ordered from Microbe-lift, as well as the bottle of pure ammonia from Ace Hardware.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423149677.871442.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423149660.699903.jpg

[Not planning on using the "Bacterial Aquarium Balancer" - small purple bottle nor the "Gravel & Substrate Cleaner" - small, light Aqua bottle on the right, the at this time.]

The tank will have living plants (TBA) and has a black aquarium sand substrate mixed with 25% Eco-complete.

Stock plan (at the moment) is:
9 Albino or Sterbei Cories, 12 neon tetras, 12 rummynose tetras, an Opaline Gourami, and 4 nerite snails. Maybe some RCS if that's appropriate, but I haven't researched them yet. :)
AqAdvisor suggests this stock level is 85%.
Filling the tank with straight-from-the-tap water, NOT dechlorinated yet. It's a little cloudy, hoping it settles enough today to start the cycling.

Getting plants and root tabs tomorrow, probably. Although I'm tempted to order online.

So if anyone is interested in following this semi-scientific/real-world bottled bacteria trial, please let me know. Open to comments, questions, and suggestions.

Thank, Jen

Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Before I start up the filters and heaters, I thought I'd make a note of the filtration I am using. This is a 55 gal. with two Fluval AquaClear 50 filters. For media, beginning on the bottom, I have (1) a coarse, white, large-holed sponge piece, (2) a black, tiny-holed sponge piece, (3) a strip of carbon sponge (all three are part of the mechanical filtration for the newbies), and lastly, (4) white Fluval ceramic (?) tubey-thingies in aquarium netting for the biological filtration. [Yes, I tend to over-do, if in doubt! ;)]

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423151764.432647.jpg

Went to get plants at an LFS and at least five tanks had a considerable number of dead fish! They get they're stock in on Wednesday, so I guess the fish being dead is more the fault of supplier, but it doesn't bode well that either they have a bad supplier or they don't acclimate their fish safely. In addition, they obviously don't check their tanks very regularly during the day, at least not on the Thursday I was there.

They do have a great selection of plants, but I don't know if the plant tanks' water system is connected to the fish tanks' water system. I didn't want to risk it, so I didn't buy anything.

It's unfortunate that I can't use that store for fish or plants. It's big and has a great selection, and is only about 25 min. away without traffic.

So I drove to a different LFS, one about 15 min. away I've been to before that is just a dive. Tiny, dirty, cluttered, etc. But I was hopeful anyway.

I did score some new wood there for the tank as the wood I had before moving has disappeared along with more tank supplies than I had realized. I'm sure it's somewhere, probably mislabeled as books by the movers and unlikely to be found anytime soon. So that was another expense I hadn't planned on.

Hoping to make it to the VERY well reviewed LFS about an hour away later today. It's my last hope.

I did look online to order plants but most places (liveaquaria.com for example) were out of stock.

I made it to House of Tropicals just south of Baltimore. http://www.houseoftropicals.net

Fabulous store!!!!! I didn't have time to fully explore it, but I loved everything about it. There is a huge selection of words, rocks, traditional decorations, aquarium plants, tank supplies, fish – both marine and freshwater, and lots of marine life and supplies. The staff was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and the prices are excellent – especially, on the rocks.

I bought two bags of black Eco-complete. It is the newer version with "blackwater" in it. I don't know what that does. Add tannins?

I noticed the bag was very clear that it should *not* be rinsed. In addition, it's ok to add the bag's liquid, *but only in NEW aquariums*. Established systems require you to drain the liquid out first so as not to harm tank inhabitants. I'm not sure why. Anyone know?

Here's a before pic showing the substrate when it was mostly black sand with a bit of EC from an old tank mixed in.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423335194.489105.jpg

Here's the substrate with the new EC on top (the bag says to mix it in with the preexisting substrate - that's the third pic.)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423335303.594566.jpg

Here's what it looks like stirred in and mostly EC. Note the lovely texture!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423335716.269074.jpg

It's sloped toward the back and back sides in addition to two hills, each one third in from the side. I'm thinking that the wood pieces and stones will be positioned here to use the "rule of thirds". The plan at the moment is to use the hill on the left to create the taller, and farther back, main focal point. The hill on the right, and more forward, will support the second and supporting focal point.

Note: I'm using the verbiage I've learned from websites and YouTube tutorials on basic aquascaping. I may not be using them correctly or applying the principles well. Comments and encouragement welcome! :)

Next step: when the water clears a bit, I'll sit down and create the possible hardscape on a towel before actually putting it in.

Keeping my sleeve wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

I found that a regular towel is just the right length to represent my tank, and that folded as it is in the pic at the end of this post, accurately depicts the width.

Here is my plan for my tank: *Comments and suggestions welcome and appreciated.*

The wood is, obviously, going to look as it does here. The striped rocks will we wedged naturally (I hope) at an angel in the substrate. The smaller, all-white rocks, are for me to tie Anubis on to.

I am hoping to put more plants around and between these smaller rocks, but leave the illusion of a path in between the one farthest on the right (that's between a striped rock and wood) and the other three on the left. Imagine the three on the left as one side of a walkway and the single rock on the right as the right side.

The whole back of the tank will eventually be planted, as will the back corners stretching along the sides. Smaller plants will be at the base of each wood decoration, as well.

This scheme should, hopefully, balance the open areas the Cories particularly like, with a densely planted back and sides for all the fishes comfort.

Now I have to figure out what plants specifically. Obviously, taller in the back getting shorter towards the front. I remember something about mixing shades of green with darker at the back getting lighter moving forward. Also - mixing leaf styles. I need to get out actual paper and pencil and start making lists!

Hoping for low to medium light, no CO2 systems required.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423347260.634806.jpg

Keeping my sleeve wet...

Hardscape installed!

The recommendation to figure it out *before* putting anything in the tank was right on! I wish I could remember the source!!

I tried to take a pic from the outside but even though it's dusk, there is still too much glare. So here's a shot looking down and to the right from the right-side of the tank.:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423347861.350393.jpg

Time to fill it up, *finally*.

Whew, just remembered I need to put in the dechlorinator first, as I need to be protecting the whatever good things came in the EC bag.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

Following. Sounds like you have a good plan so far.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As suggested somewhere, and I only read this one place but it's brilliant, I placed plastic trash bags gently on the top of the completed hardscape and substrate. This will help the water go on top of the substrate without making a mess once the bags are removed.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423349457.415907.jpg

The water is gently filling a large bowl so as not to disturb the substrate either. (That's an extra thermometer floating there so I can make sure the water temp is ok. This will be more important once I have livestock in the tank.)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423349489.411839.jpg

I'm using an Aqueon water changer with the longer tube accessory on it. Here's a pic of what it looks like on the faucet.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423349560.648241.jpg

Water changers are *so* worth the money. Carrying buckets is a PITA.

im following. Interested to see how those bacteria products work in your tank. Plz post your water parameters daily once you add your fish. Hardscape looks nice good luck with the tank

Thanks, Quest! Will do.

Finished setting up and filling up. Will add bacteria in AM tomorrow. For now it's just dechlorinated tap water.

Heaters running, filters running. One of the filters (AquaClear 50) is rattling. It's new. I may exchange it tomorrow before adding the bacteria.

Here's it all set up:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423359954.996988.jpg

Yes, hoping to get list together tomorrow and get to the store outside Baltimore. It's about 45 min. away, but sooo worth it for plants and hardscape at least. Didn't have time to see the fish yesterday.

Ok, it's been ~ 24 hours since I added the dechlorinated water and the two bags of EC (I did *not* add ammonia yet, I wrote that in error a few minutes ago. Now corrected.). Didn't have time to add the ammonia and all the bottled bacteria yet. Before I do, here's a pic of the tank at the moment (starting to look a little greenish in person - algae?):
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423434260.236082.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423434241.782741.jpg

Water parameters from the tap taken last week:
KH 5 - indicating a hardness of 3°-6° (50-100ppm) suitable for "Most tropical fish including Angelfish, Cichlids, Tetras, Botia, Live Plants)
pH 7.4
Am. 0ppm
NI 0ppm
NA

Tonight *before* adding ammonia or any bottled bacteria:

KH 5
pH 7.4
Am. .25ppm (from what?)
NI 0ppm
NA 10ppm (up from 5ppm, why?)

Notes:
1) All tests are performed with test tubes, *not* test strips. Stripes are more expensive in the long-run and not as accurate. Most of us use the API Freshwater Test Kit. I also bought KH separately (to test carbonate hardness - should I have gotten the GH test instead for General Hardness?

2) When doing the nitrAte test, make VERY sure you shake that second bottle well. While it's full, I personally shake it for a full minute. If it is not shaken well you may end up with a zero for your reading. It's NEVER a zero.

Will be doing the ammonia in a few minutes... Stand by.

Added a total of just under 1 tsp. of the Ace Hardware pure ammonia in two separate batches to total 4.0ppm.

After each addition I let the filters run for ~ 30 minutes and tested afterwards.

After the second addition ran for ~30 min. I tested at found the 4.0ppm result.

The water temp. is 82°.

Now for the main event....

The Bottled Bacteria!!!

I used these three from Microbe-Lift:
The Gel Filter Inoculant (green), Special Blend (pink), and Nite-Out II (black bottle).
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423445494.340577.jpg

Upon closer inspection of the directions, I realize I probably did *not* have to get all three formulations, although I do especially like the idea of the gel "sticking" to the filter media better than a liquid, like the other two. I did see that if one is using two bacteria starters from Microbe-Lift, only 50% of the second should be used. Since I was using all three, I used 25% of the Special Blend and the Nite-Out II.

Here's everything set out.
NOTE I AM WEARING GLOVES AS PER INSTRUCTIONS!!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423445859.056456.jpg

Upon reflection, I decided that I would not apply the BBs to the white filter media since it has large holes and is meant to primarily be mechanical filtration. I plan on being better about rinsing these white ones more than I have in the past. I also removed the carbon as it will be replaced regularly.

So here is what I decided to apply the BBs to.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423446081.470291.jpg

The gel I used on the biomax circle thingies (what *are* they called, anyway?) and the black foam. I opened the media bags and squeezed a bunch in each one and mixed it all up, coating all the pieces as much as I could. I also squeezed it through the foam.

The 25% Special Blend application was poured entirely onto, and squeezed into, the black foam. The 25% Nite-Out II was poured into, and swished around, the white thingies.

As instructed, the media are sitting out of the the tank (on my counter away from my overly-curious dog - the cats don't care). They are supposed to sit out two hours then go in the filter in the tank and sit another half hour before turning on the filters.

The heaters are still on all this time, of course.

Both the Special Blend and the Nite-Out II will need periodic re-application, poured straight into the filter media. I've included pics of those dosing instructions below.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423446714.770426.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423446728.727221.jpg

I'll finish up the Special Blend bottle then move on to the Nite-Out II exclusively. I have a big bottle of that. That I guess I'll keep using indefinitely - which is one of the criticisms of this method.

Have you added anything organic to the tank?

The EC yesterday, the ammonia and later, the bottled bacteria.

Will do parameters every evening.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the plant schematic done and the plants bought and planted. Depends on the weather. Hopefully we'll just get rain.

Today's water parameters:
24 hours after adding bottles bacteria to aquarium that had 4.0ppm of ammonia in it -

KH 6 (up .5 in reality because the liquid had almost gone completely yellow at 5)
pH 7.4
Am. 4.0
NI 0
NA 5 (half of yesterday before adding the BB)

No additional BB required today. Nite-Out II due tomorrow.

Wednesday, 10 Feb

Today's water parameters:

KH 3.5 (halfway to 4 by my eye)
pH 7.4
Am. 2ppm
NI 0
NA 5

Added today's dose of Nite-Out II. Next dose due in two days. The ammonia is moving down, so that's an excellent sign!!!

Maybe tomorrow I can get plants. It's probably a three hour trip to the Baltimore area and back plus the time at the store. I need to finish getting my plan together.

Ok, see ya'll on the flip side.

Back
Top Bottom