fluval bioring question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at lfs today looking at biorings to put in my cascade 1000 cannister filter once I get it to finish this cycle. They have 750 gm, and 500 gm. The 500gm are bigger, where as the 750 are octagon shaped and smaller. Does it matter which one? Do they both offer the same surface area? Also, they come in a plastic bag. Should I put in a nylon bag before putting into the filter? Or let lay freely? And how much is too much? The box didn't say what gallon tank they were for but the aqua clear that was much smaller quantity said for 50 gal. Mine is 46.

Unless you are planning use these media to seed other cycling tanks, these media are not needed. You are wasting money IMO. Canisters have enough surface area on the filter pads for all the. Necessary beneficial bacteria.

Either one of your choices is fine. I like to put them in a bag for easier cleaning. Its longer to take them out for cleaning if you just lay them on the trays.

The only media that is in this filter right now is what came with it. Which is 2 floss pads, coarse pad and carbon. It is a huge 3 tray filter so shouldn't I at least replace the carbon i am removing with some media? Seems like a lot of empty space. I like to save money but I am also willing to listen to the experienced. I had posted about removing the carbon before cycled and census said to cycle first so that is what I am doing. Just need to plan my next step.

I used to run my canister with only the stuff that came with the unit. I left 3 big trays empty. Carbon not even used.

The media also slows down the flow, so filling all the trays will reduce to flow by ~30%.

Very interesting. I like the way you think. Thanks for your help! I just assumed from everything i have read that more is better.
It will be a while before I get to that point to take out the carbon because thanks to the lfs who told me I was good and ready for fish, I am cycling with 4 molly's. My ammonia runs 0.5 every day and every day I do pwc. The only upside is that I can recycle the water on my plants outside. My nitrites and nitrates constantly run 0 but I understand that they won't start showing til further through the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom