Fluval Edge Aquarium + Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayhariu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there,

I recently bought a 6 Gal Fluval Edge Aquarium and it has been running for just two days now. I am looking to buy two African Dwarf Frogs as well as one or two Crystal Red Shrimps. However, I have a few questions:

1. Will these two inhabitants get along? I hear African Dwarfs should be with Community fish but then again, I hear they are great neighbors to Betta fish.

2. Yes, I have done my research on these Frogs but I was silly and went ahead and bought two fake plants for my tank. One of which, isn't very soft. I hear that all fake plants should be soft to prevent injury to the frog's delicate legs and porous skin. I am going to head to Big Al's (a fish store) in a few days to see if I can pick up a small soft plant (probably fake) any suggestions?

3. I have one real plant (Dwarf Grass) in the tank and am looking to get another plant that wont grow out of hand.

4. I would also like to get a Plecto, however, they tend to be quite big. I would like one that is a pretty good algae eater but on the small side.

5. My tank is currently sitting around 81F at the moment and I find that temperature just a bit over where it should be and that is with the light bulbs off. Is this caused by the new bio changes going on in the tank or is there something I can do to regulate the temperature(cool it down)?

I believe that's all the questions I have right now. I'm sorry for the long post but at least I'm pretty punctual :P

Here is a photo of my current tank set-up: Suggest away any changes to the layout.
:fish1:

http://restless-rawr.net/fishtank.jpg

1. IMO I think the shrimp will be eaten by frogs. Is the tank cycled? If not: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

2. I wouldn't really suggest ADF's in that small of a tank, they would do better by themselves in ten gallons. But that's just me, I don't like taking risks with them.

3. Try java fern or anubias nana. Both are low light and easy to grow.

4. A shrimp or a snail. No fish that is an algae eater can go in a Fluval Edge IMO.

5. Your temperature is fine where it is. It's fine for most tropical setups.

The tank is not fully cycled and I am going out tomorrow to pick up an PH kit and whatnot.

I figured the ADF would be fine in the 6 gallon because they need about a gallon per frog from what I've read. I don't like the idea of jamming them into a small tank, however, one by itself would be lonely. I would never get more than two.

I'm actually surprised you think the shrimp may be eaten haha.

Oh okay, just making sure :) How far are you into your cycle?

I am not an expert on Dwarf frogs, this is just my opinion. I have seen dwarf frogs in tanks with other fish at LFS, and frankly they are just outcompeted for food and swimming room with other fish.

Well, you never know. Shrimp that small could definitley get eaten.

I am using the steps and bacteria that came with the Fluval Edge tank. I am on day two out of 3 apparently. Tomorrow I am going to pick up a PH kit to test the water. I will not have anything in the tank for another few weeks I assume.

I have never set up a tank myself before.

Yeap! Exactly what I plan on doing. It says on that link you sent me that bacteria in a 'jar' isn't the best. I would not add any 'test fish' before my tank is cycled. Should I buy a jar of ammonia just to keep at hand incase levels in my tank start to change in the future? Or should that be something to consider the time of?

A Nerite Snail or two would be great algae eaters and they can't breed in freshwater.

My Ruby Nerite.
View attachment 47684

I also have a Horned and a Zebra Nerite.

I have 2 Otos in a 5g. A bit small for them, but they've been thriving for 2 years now

View attachment 47685

And Shrimp are very sensitive. Cherry Shrimp are a lot hardier than Crystal Reds. IMHO the ADFs would certainly eat the Shrimp. If they can cram it in their cute mouths they will eat it.

Temp ? Do you have a heater ? I am turning off my tank lights during the hottest part of the day. You can use a timer. 4hrs on in the morning/4 off/4 on in the evening when you are home.

Crystal shrimp do NOT like high temps. If you add shrimp the tank should be fully cycled.

Cherry Shrimp

View attachment 47686

CRS

View attachment 47687

My 10g Shrimp jungle all live plants

View attachment 47688

I used Tahitian Moon Sand over Flourite Black Sand.

I wouldn't do frogs in a 6 gal. The 1 gal per frog is a rough guide and they should have more room. You might be able to get away with 2 frogs in there, but they are social and like to be in groups. I also wouldn't put them with other bottom dwellers like shrimp.

Pick up a liquid test kit like the API Master Kit (don't get strips even though they are cheaper they aren't accurate) and a bottle of PURE ammonia (ACE brand is best) and do a fishless cycle (the link Bruinsboro gave you will help). In the meantime you can research what's best to put in there.

Siva is a member here who has a lot of experience with ADFs. You could send her a PM and ask her these questions. There's also an Amphibian section which is read by members with ADF experience, you may want to post these questions there to get good feedback.

I love ADFs too since I saw them but after asking around here and doing more research I decided an ADF only tank of 10 gals would be the best environment for them. Good luck.

Frogs are fine with shrimp, the frogs aren't quick enough to catch them. ADF need to be able to go to the surface for air, I wouldn't recommend them for a Fluval edge.

Hmm yeah I was worried about putting shrimp with ADF's. I would only be getting two if I decide to go with them. I'll look around the forums mentioned. i just figured it would be quicker to address my own questions first and then go from there, instead of searching endlessly for individual answers :p
Thanks a lot guys :D

Agreed with Mogurako, was wondering if anyone was going to mention that the frogs need air and the edge doesn't exactly give them much room to find it, definitely don't recommend them for that kind of tank.

Oh I know about the air thing too. I wasn't going to fill the tank to the very top because of that. :) I did research on them...now it's just questions specific to my tank and them.

Not filling it all the way up would defeat the aesthetics to that particular tank, but if you like it that way then it's no biggie. Ghost shrimp are a good starter shrimp that are readily available everywhere and cost next to nothing.

Well, i'd rather have a small minus on the aesthetics then to suffocate the frogs. Then again I would think they would possibly be ok having it filled up just because the opening rectangular lip of the tank is about half an inch vertically up...they could easily go there to breath but then again they are almost blind and I doubt they'd know where to go.

ADFs would not be good for the fluval edge because they breath air. the edge would stop them from reaching the top :(

Back
Top Bottom