Golden Mystery snails don't like the light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brry

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed something with my snails, they seem to only crawl around after it gets dark, and if I leave the tank light on for over an hour they go back in their shells. They will even climb into the hidey-houses I have for the fish. At first I thought this was a water temperature problem, maybe the light made the tank too hot, but then I read up that they are fine in temperatures up to 85 degrees.

Anyone else notice these things are nocturnal? Or is my light too bright or something? At first I thought they were dead.

***Yep. I shut off the light and about an hour later they came out of their shells and began patrolling the premises, antenna raised high. I found very little info on this phenomenon, that snails are nocturnal doesn't seem to be common knowledge.

Last edited:
My saltwater and freshwater snails seem to be like that as well...

cept its like after the light has been on for like 3 hours then they wake up and go about.

My big gold mystery snail will shack up in its shell for awhile if it has fed a lot. But it doesn't seem to care about day or night. I do have my tank lights on a timer, you could try that. If they're hiding from your light, it may be too bright or too hot (especially if your tank is 85 degrees with it on).

Back
Top Bottom