Green Cloudy!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if the water itself is greenish, then that would be an algae bloom. how long do you keep the lights on, and it is near a window with direct sunlight?

also what type of lights do you have?

Can't get a pic just this minute and not sure about lights. I have to admit for a certain period each day it is in direct sunlight

It's the interpret 10gal ish fish box I'll try and get a pic thanks for the help

i would say the direct sunlight is causing your algae bloom, do you have any live plants in the tank? if not then there is nothing competing for nutrients in the tank, so algae will take over very quickly.

i would recommend finding a way to shade the tank from direct sunlight and also only leaving the lights on 6-8 hours a day.

to get rid of the algae bloom, and im no expert of this since i use alot of live plants and Co2, but i think some people suggest doing a blackout to the tank, cover it with blankets or whatever you have to allow no light to enter the tank and leave your lights off. i dont remember how long you should do this. anywhere from 24-72 hours.

Ok I just wanted to get a quick picture:

image-3207716655.jpg

Could this be harmful. I had a tiny bit of ammonia last time but it was 0.25 could this explain anything?

oh wow, you may need to have the tank covered for more then 3 days, and yes you may see ammonia rise doing all of this as the algae dies off. so water changes may also be needed during the processes

the algae its self is not harmful to the fish i dont think

****, looks like the hulk took a piss in your tank, lol. I think you can really benefit from getting a uv sterilizer. Since its in direct sunlight when the algae dies off after the dark period itll just start growing again.

Oh and by the way I am going to shut the curtains regularly and have done a water change/ started the dark period tonight. I'll see how it is in the mourning and try to tell you all one here.

Water gets passed around a bulb that creates UV light that kills floating bacteria in the water, in your case, algea. I'm assuming you're running a HOB (hang on back filter), so you'll want an all in one submersible unit.
Do a search on eBay for uv sterilizer.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251070839005&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=51752583349

This is a submersible unit that you just stick on your glass and plug it in. I run one of these myself in my 20 gallon.

Btw, how long have you had the tank up and running?

I'll have a quick look on EBay. I'm a bit worried know if it can harm my fish here is what I have:

X 2 Molly
X3 Neon
X3 Rummy
X3 Harliquen

Could I get an alge eater?

Most algae eaters don't eat algae also I don't think it will help green water but that's just my opinion

There are alot of reasons a tank can get green water (algae bloom). Just because it gets direct sunlight doesn't mean that is the culprit as I have a couple tanks that get alot of direct sunlight daily and have no algae issue. In a small tank the only problem with direct sunlight could be overheating of the water.

Black outs often don't work because they usually don't kill all the algae spores in the water. So when the water recieves light again the algae bloom comes back. Also when doing a black out you literally have to block all light from entering into the tank for 3 days. You can't even peak as that allows light in even if only for a few seconds which breaks the dark cycle.

Many people on the forum use this UV sterilizer with great results... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO. UV's are the most efficient way to kill algae and bacterial blooms.

There is no algae eater that consumes this type of algae.

Today I went to my LFS and got some 'green away' which helps the water, the really good news is that my tank is not green anymore!!!

A big thanks to Rivercats and all the other people as it has really helped me!!!

When picking a uv sterilizer you want one that the bulb housing is no more than 3mm from the housing itself. In other words you don't want the water passing around it to be more than 3mm thick. Also the longer I r is the better and you also don't want the water to rush past the bulb too fast. I'll find the article I read all that on and link it into this post in an edit.

Here it is.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom