Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dana180

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good afternoon everyone!

I feel I need to start out with a warm introduction and then run for cover! :hide:

My name is Dana and I just found this site last night. I work all day on the computer and usually the last thing I want to do when I get home is surf the internet. I started reading the threads and became hooked!

I did however make a MAJOR mistake. My family (son 12 and daughter 8) has wanted a fish tank for years. This year instead of buying toys and stuff that gets old by New Years I decided that we will have a family gift this year. So I purchased a 46 gallon bowfront tank. Now thinking I was being smart and preparing well for our new hobby I went to my local fish store several times speaking to the staff and read several books and magazines on fish and tanks etc... Not ONE book, magazine, friend or store employee ever mentioned a fishless cycle. I’m sure you can see where I’m headed.:facepalm:

Because I was afraid of screwing up I had the local fish store install my aquarium on Monday as an early Christmas gift. The guy who installed it said wait 24 hours before adding fish. Because of work and afterschool activities I did not go until last night (Thursday). I added ½ bottle of biological liquid and headed off to PetSmart. Normally I would have gone to the aquarium store but it was late and further away. Anyway I let both kids pick up three fish each. My daughter choose 3 dalmation mollies and my son choose 3 turquoise rainbow fish. Me and my super excited kids headed home, we floated the bags for about 30 minutes and added them to the tank. At first all the fish were a little skittish however by this morning they looked like they were doing fine.

What do I do know? I just can’t believe that the four books I purchased on getting started and speaking to the fish experts were completely wrong!

The lady at PetSmart told me NOT to do any water changes for at least a month because the higher concentration of ammonia will make the cycle faster. However would it matter much if I do small water changes everyday to lower the ammonia and hopefully keep it at a “safer” lever for the fish?

I have not purchased a gravel cleaner yet. It seems everyone recommends a Python around here. It sounds ideal for my setup (sink just feet away) however how do you add aquarium salt and declorinator when doing water changes? How do you measure how much water you removed in order when refilling it to get the salt and declorinator correct? Do you take the temperature before adding it to the tank or do you just "wing it"? I’m also worried that I will suck up a fish! These may sound like dumb questions but I really need some help figuring out my next steps.

Please don’t bash me for putting fish in the tank uncycled. I was naïve. I found this site last night AFTER the fish were already in the tank.

:banghead:

Welcome to the forum! Good to meet you.

It's okay, fish-in cycling can be done safe and effectively if you do it right.

You are correct, do water changes as needed, it doesn't have to be daily, just any time the ammonia/nitrite levels are elevated. It doesn't slow the cycle down in any significant way.

Petsmart employees (and LFS employees in general)are not automatically experts, or even really required to know much about fishkeeping apart from what they are trained.

Pythons are great, you can add dechlorinator (Get Prime) to the tank prior to adding water, it works instantly. I wouldn't add salt at all unless you are treating a disease or issue. You can temp match by hand, it doesn't have to be exact, but it should be close.

No bashing here, it's not a big deal and it sounds like you have things under control. Once again, welcome.

Hi & welcome!!!!! No bashing here, everyone is here to help and 99% of us have gotten ill advice from the lfs at one time or another. Ok, lets address a few things. Pwcs (partial water changes) are must as maintance weekly once your tank is cycled and they will be an absolute (as in daily) until your tank is cycled to keep your fish alive & healthy. Until you have a python/something similar to use as a water changer, i imagine your probably using buckets. I dont do anything special (as in thermometer) to match the temp of the faucet other than putting my hand in bucket of tank water & matching it to the tap. You will be able to figure out an 'eyeball' setting for your faucet temp with a little practice (to use for a water change system). 50% pwc weekly are a general ballpark for maintance (1/2 tank) so thats pretty self explanatory. During cycling, they should be 50% daily. Add water conditioner for the size of your entire tank-not just what you are changing (also easy). I dont have personal experience with your species of fish, so i do not know if salt is really necessary. Im sure someone else can comment on this! ok, this is very important- have you purchased an API fw master test kit? If not, please do so asap. This is going to be the only way you can monitor your levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph. Please read up on 'fish-in cycling' so you understand what is going on in your tank & the 'nitrogen cycle'. Im sure someone will post direct links for it soon! Dont hesitate to ask more questions!!!

Thank you everyone! I'm typing on my phone so sorry this is short. My manual states "a small amount of salt is beneficial to freshwater aquarium fish. We recommend not tablespoon per five gallons". The guy who set up the tank eye balled salt. I have a ph kit and ammonia and nitrate/nitrite made by API. I will take my current readings and post back.

:welcome: to AA! :)

Unless it's for disease, there's no benefit for adding salt. In fact, if you add salt constantly diseases that usually are killed by salt will become resilent to it and even harder to kill.

Thank you everyone! I'm typing on my phone so sorry this is short. My manual states "a small amount of salt is beneficial to freshwater aquarium fish. We recommend not tablespoon per five gallons". The guy who set up the tank eye balled salt. I have a ph kit and ammonia and nitrate/nitrite made by API. I will take my current readings and post back.

Welcome to AA, glad you found us! The topic of using salt in a freshwater tank is debatable; some do it, most don't. Usually salt is only needed if treating for medications and it can help the fish through the nitrite phase of the cycle (you have a few weeks to go before you get that far yet and salt isn't needed if you're not comfortable with it). I know the larger chain stores use salt in their tanks because they are uncycled and not well-maintained so they do it to try to prevent disease and keep the toxins from harming the fish (a PetCo employee told me this) but again it generally isn't needed.

Your'e on the right track getting the API kit and the guide above to fish-in cycling (it's also in my signature: new tank with fish) will help you and your fish through the next month or so. Good luck and be sure to post here if you need help along the way.

Ph is 7.6
Ammonia/NH3/NH4 is between 0

The water is a little cloudy. The temperature is set at 80 degrees but the thermometer (on the opposite side) is 72 degrees

All fish look okay. I couldn't find one of the mollies but I put some food in and she popped out of her hiding spot!

Oh for the water changes with the Python or any automatic water changer where you add tap water straight to the tank, the typical way to do it is to add the dechlorinator to the tank after you drain and before you start adding water and add enough for the whole tank not just the water you are replacing (dosing should be on the bottle). If you're worried about sucking up fish (although yours are fairly large so you'd probably see them lol) just put a clean nylon stocking or a mesh media bag over the bottom of it.

Okay I read the thermometer wrong tank temp is 80. I turned it down to 76.

Welcome!! This is a fabulous site and has helped me out loads. There are many experienced people here who will help you at every glitch (even though sometimes they say different things lol :) )
Good luck and I hope things go smoothly for you

All fish are happy and well right now. Actually this morning I was extremely surprised at the color of the turquoise rainbows. They are so much deeper in color in less than one week! I have been feeding variety but mostly flake with one pea a day...but I think the mollies are eating the peas.

Back
Top Bottom