Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppy 74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I guys , I have a 110 ltr tank , added some new fish and now I can't get my ammonia under control , I have lost 13 fish in a week and a half ! I got an external fitter and used amolock to try settle the problem but not looking good . Any suggestions would be greatfully accepted . I have just carried out a 50% water change ! Thanks in advance

what are your water parameters? Stock? What kind of filter? Had you cycled the tank before you put the fish in?

sorry for so many questions but they will help us help you.

skywhitney said:
what are your water parameters? Stock? What kind of filter? Had you cycled the tank before you put the fish in?

sorry for so many questions but they will help us help you.

I had the tank cycling for about 8 weeks with the internal filter running , I have now got 12 fish left did have 24, ph 7.5 , amonia gone up to 4.0 ppm , nitrate 50 ppm . I have 2 air stones running , the external filter been running for 2 weeks its a fluval 206 200 ltr turn over . I have a nitra zorb pouch in it. Any thing else you need to know ?

sounds like you got thrown into a new cycle. did you leave both filters running together or transfer the filter media to the canister?

either way i could do back to back 50% water changes to get those numbers down.

skywhitney said:
sounds like you got thrown into a new cycle. did you leave both filters running together or transfer the filter media to the canister?

either way i could do back to back 50% water changes to get those numbers down.

I had both running at the same time , I did a 50 % water change tonight should I do one tomorrow eve , I have some much conflicting advice hench when I found this site I signed up straight away thanks for your help

How current are those rest results you provided? If there are from today, i would do another 50% now and then another 50% about 20 min later.

if they are not from today could you test and provide current results?

By cycling do you mean adding ammonia to do fishless cycling or did you do a fish in cycle?
How many fish did you have in there before adding the new ones or is this the first time fish have been in the tank?

If your ammo is up that high a 50% change is not going to cut it. You will probably need to do a few back to back. Do the change, wait and hour and test again, keep doing changes until ammo is lower than .5. It will probably take a few to get it down.

Also have you tested your tap water? Just to be sure that the ammo isn't doing from there.

You said you have 12 fish left, what are they?

What would you recommend to remove ammonia ?

Unless you have ammo in your tap water and water change is it. There are chemical products but it's not recommended. It's just a band-aid over the actually problem.

Seachems Prime is a water conditioner that helps to "detox" ammonia for your fish. This only lasts for about 24-48 hours so again, not a fix or substitute for water changes but it's a helpful tool

When the filters were running for 8 weeks did you have an ammonia source in that time (e.g. adding ammonia manually or having fish)? Letting the tank just run empty without ammonia doesn't cycle it. Sounds like you added too many fish too fast. Can you tell us what types of fish and how many?

If ammonia is at 4 do many water changes. 50-60% back-to-back changes to get ammonia down (doing one water change daily isn't really going to fix the problem; you'll need to do a few back-to-back changes to get the ammonia down). Just add dechlorinator; no need for other chemicals. Prime is best if you can get it but whatever you have on hand right now is fine as the fish are likely suffering with levels that high. Your nitrates are on the high side too; does your tap water have nitrate? Have you tested nitrIte?

Back
Top Bottom